Android Phones - apps work on some but not others

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Android Phones - apps work on some but not others

matty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

My app (which should be in the app forum soon enough) runs on my phone which is a HTC Desire. My boss tried it on his, and we did set the "accept non market apps" but we find that it loads, displays the splash screen, then fails at the end of the load sequence with an error that comes up quickly and then disappears before we can read it.

His phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 (I think that is the name) - running Android 2.3.3 while mine is an Htc Desire running Android 2.2

Is that normal?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#2]
Any chance of connecting it to a PC and running the Android debugger on it? (DDMS)

matty(Posted 2011) [#3]
Hi therevills, I'm not sure how to use the Android debugger, but I can find out. Thanks.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#4]
i had a few problems with this as well

1) make sure he has debug mode set on

2) compile your program in release mode not debug mode
( this shouldnt make any difference but it did)

3) file dimensions not file size

by this i mean that i used a spritesheet packer to incorperate all my images into fewer png files.It wasnt the size of the file that mattered but the file dimensions.for example i had a several files 963x722.now when i loaded them using html5 and a galaxy tablet they worked fine.,but on my mates phone it caused an error and force closed.the size of the file was only 133kb. so i split them down to several files all 321x722 and it worked fine.I have no idea why it does this.

matty(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hello again.

I simply removed some of the many graphics (cut the number of animation frames in half) and it then worked on the Samsung Galaxy S2 that my boss had.

Admittedly I was previously loading 800 128x128 sprite images which it must have balked at...although my phone had no problem with it...

Maybe we need some way of detecting the amount of video memory available when running...