Pushing APK to Android w/o a USB cable

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Pushing APK to Android w/o a USB cable

Loofadawg(Posted 2011) [#1]
adbWireless https://market.android.com/search?q=adbwireless&so=1&c=apps is a free app on the Android Market that is pretty darn useful. You must be rooted and have a WiFi connection to use it proper.

"adbWireless enable ADB wireless connection to connect to the phone as if connected by USB."

Just tried it out with Monkey, and son of gun - it worked. True hooking up a USB cable is a trivial matter and has the added benefit of keeping your device charged but you have to admit, this is pretty cool.

Handy if you misplace/damage/forget your USB cable. Having options is always a good thing.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
I transfer files occasionally without a cable through ES File Explorer, which works on non-rooted phones as well. It can communicate with windows file shares and FTP over wifi, so I can grab files from my windows PC on the local LAN.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#3]
I use my gmail account to send myself a mail with the apk attached, and when I open the mail from the phone, there is a nice Install button which works fine.

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#4]
I upload it to my website and download it with the browser.

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#5]
Just connect phone via USB and load file into download folder. Then install it from phone level.

Proper USB drivers must be installed but they are not in Android SDK and also Setting -> applicatins -> debug via USB must be turn off. USB drivers can be downloaded via SDK as addon.

This at least works for me (Samsung Galaxy)

wiebow(Posted 2011) [#6]
I use dropbox. Upload from my Pc, select the file on the phone and it gets downloaded and installed.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#7]
Thanks for the tip, Bladum. I tried Android SDK and it created a GT-I9100 directory in my computer where I could put the apk files directly with Windows Explorer.

Now I have 3 options to install apk files to Android, and each seems to have its own benefits:

1) Send mail to yourself via gmail: No need for any wlan or cables, simple Install button in the mail and you get notification also when new mail arrives and you can open the mail from the Amiga Screen dragdown thing.

2) Use Android SDK as USB driver, and drag the files to the download directory of your Samsumg Galaxy S2. Needs USB cable and some more manual actions to open the My Files directory on the phone, but it's probably better for larger apk files than option 1).

3) Upload apk files to Android Store. Haven't tried yet, and needs more manual steps to recompile Monkey apps using "ant release build.xml", since Android Store accepts only release mode apk files. Maybe better use option 3) only for final games, and option 1) and 2) for development and testing.

Loofadawg(Posted 2011) [#8]
As long as my device is connected to the PC (USB or the wireless method) the APK is automatically installed after Monkey is finished building.

Is this not the same behavior for everyone else?

@Lumooja Galaxy S2? Not liking you too much right now. ;^)

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#9]
for me monkey never detects any device: emulator or real phone so i need to load apk via usb

Loofadawg(Posted 2011) [#10]
For the Captivate I know I needed to install the USB drivers from Samsung. Maybe you need to do the same. What phone do you have?

Oh, and under Settings>Applications>Development USB debugging should be checked.

The emulator is far too slow for me to test with. In fact it seem to take forever to push/install the APK, if I am remembering it correctly.

DGuy(Posted 2011) [#11]
@Bladum
for me monkey never detects any device: emulator or real phone so i need to load apk via usb

Hmmm ...., as Loofadawg, I assumed pushing to device was not a Monkey thing, but an Android thing: The final step in the APK creation process.

If I disconnect my Android device from USB, I get the following error message:
install:
     [echo] Installing [...]/MonkeyGame-debug.apk onto default emulator or device...
     [exec] error: device not found

But that's not a Monkey error message, that comes from one of the android tools (adb?) Do you see a similar message?

Just curious, if you exec "adb devices", do you see a list of devices attached?

Maybe because my device has been provisioned for development, is why the Android tools are able to detect/access it: The device is allowing it ...

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#12]
ok i've installed samsung kies - usb drivers and now monkey and jungle both compile and install directly into phone, thanks !

JohnathanS(Posted 2011) [#13]
I use Wifi File Explorer Pro..

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dooblou.WiFiFileExplorerPRO

Loofadawg(Posted 2011) [#14]
Congrats Bladum.

@JNLSDevelopment
I use Samba

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.funkyfresh.samba&feature=search_result

is similar to Wifi Explorer Pro from what I can tell, and it is free.

Volker(Posted 2011) [#15]
The 'Google USB Driver package' in the SDK-Manager has to be installed.
USB-Debugging has to be turned on.
Then monkey should compile directly on the mobile over USB-cable.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#16]
Damn, I had it working for a while and all of a sudden it doesn't detect it anymore. Guess I have to use the web route.