Getting the app onto the phone

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Getting the app onto the phone

Bremer(Posted 2011) [#1]
This might be a noob question, but how do you get the app onto the actual phone? I have managed to compile correctly and make use of the emulator, so that I can test things. But how do I go about getting the app to an actual physical phone. I borrowed my brothers android phone, but could not see any way of getting apps onto the phone besides the marketplace.

BigAnd(Posted 2011) [#2]
You will need Debug Enabled on your phone then basically just plug the usb cable from the phone to the computer and then build your programme. As long as you have everything set up correctly and it builds ok, just go to your apps and you should see a MonkeyGame icon.

Remember you will have to "force quit" the app as I think it keeps running.

Edit:
It might want to install the drivers when you first plug the phone into the computer.

TeaBoy(Posted 2011) [#3]
Please note: Not sure if all Android phones have the same setup, I'm using a bog standard HTC WildFire.

To get the apps running on an HTC phone:

1) Plug the phone into your USB port

2) When you plug the phone in you should see a menu screen:

Charge only
HTC Sync
Disk Drive
USB Tethering

*Select Disk Drive so you can access the phones file system.

3) Goto the folder 'Tool', there should be an HTC Driver that you
need to install on your PC.

4) Once all is dandy, to get your Monkey apps on your HTC Phone.

Goto 'Settings' -> 'Applications' -> 'Development' then enable
USB debugging.

==============================================================

Build and Run the app as normal, apache ant should then install the app
on to your phone.

You should then see an android icon with all your other apps.

*As BigAnd suggests, you will need to 'force quit' your app via the
'Manage applications'

Bremer(Posted 2011) [#4]
Thank you, thats just the kind of information I need to get going :)

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#5]
I have an HTC Incredible myself, and use the "plug in USB cable -> diskdrive method" for the most part, but it's not the only possibility.

There's a free utility called 'ES File Explorer' you can download from the market. It allows you to many useful things like back up apps, etc, but it also allows you to browse FTP and LAN connections.
I can share a folder on my windows machine, and with the android phone connected to my wireless LAN, ES File Explorer can connect to the file share on the PC, grab the file(s) over a wireless connection, and install them -- without the need to obtain a compatible USB cable first.