Breakout-X

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Breakout-X

zxretrosoft(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hello Monkey friends!

Thank you all for your help with the first steps with Monkey-X!

For you, this is my first experiment with this great language. It is a very beautiful and a great language, but so far for me is difficult. Maybe you can help improve the game ;-)

Play online! (HTML5):
http://knr.euweb.cz/MonkeyGame.html

Remember: The screen size CTRL+ or CTRL-

Source+Data (ZIP):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ey3tsqbxsuzq2c/code.zip?dl=0

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#2]
Looks/plays very well. You seem to be a good programmer already:)

therevills(Posted 2016) [#3]
Very nice! The scrolling background "power up" freaked me out! LOL!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#4]
Oh wow! I see some very nice original stuff in there!

zxretrosoft(Posted 2016) [#5]
Thank you very much friends!
Unfortunately, I'm not satisfied. I do not use all the possibilities of language MonkeyX. Especially object-oriented programming. Over time, I also want to use Playniax framework (so far I have not bought). I'll try to make it better ;-)
Thanks a lot!

MonkeyPlotter(Posted 2016) [#6]
Hi zxretrosoft, great gameplay - I made a breakout game a while ago in BMAX, it was nowhere near as polished as your game. Great stuff ;)

Simonsuuri(Posted 2017) [#7]
Really nice game and good job!

I loaded the game code&data and its really hard to read :)
you have made it fully in "game" Class so thats why it gets messy and the code gets long.

I would improve code readability and length by making classes for
-Block; (img, type, x,y,w,h, health... )
-Ball; (img, x,y,radius, velx,vely.... )
-Bonus; (img, type, x,y,radius... )
Probably would use lists to handle blocks and bonuses..
and also i would use more exact variable names for most of variables just to make it easier to read,
probably even after 1 - 2 months it gets really hard to understand what does like "rn" variable do:)

I would give you link for video tutorial ("making breakout game in 1 hour with monkey-x") that has good things how to use classes but i cant find it anymore :(

zxretrosoft(Posted 2017) [#8]
@Simonsuuri
Thank you very much!

Yes, it is certainly much better to write the code. I've learned in this example MonkeyX. And secondly, I wanted the game to think of myself completely, without any help (even foreign code). Balls bounces, collisions, reading a wall from array, etc.

If you want, you can try to improve. Sorry for the Czech comments that are in the code...

e.g.
rn = "spuštění", ie. start the game, something like RUN

Otherwise a great idea with video tutorial! There are a few around MonkeyX :/

Simonsuuri(Posted 2017) [#9]
no problem!

you sound just like me :D i have owned monkey and Ignition-x for 2 and half years and i have only used mojo1 and mojo2,
pretty much everything else (Framework stuff) has been my own made.. (I might have been too stuborn, but I've learnt a lot tho :3 )

I propably wont try to improve your code but i might try to re-create it at some weekend :)

Too bad that, that tutorial doesnt seems to exist anymore :/ it really helped me when i started monkey,
but that gave me idea for try to make such a tutorial by my self ;)

But, dont hold your breath, since im really for a moment. :)