Orbit build 0.456

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Orbit build 0.456

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hello fellow all, posting some more alpha of Orbit for your always valued feedback.

Play
- Dropbox
Play - Hosted Website

Screen Shots

Info thing.

Your objective is to clear 5 waves of Asteroids and Aliens around each planet and a few moons in our solar system, and possibly other solar systems, were under attack and your the last line of defense cliche I know..

After each stage which comprises of 5 waves, the player get's scored based on the highest full level of planet shielding, so having a full green shield will net you 3 star's which will impact total score awarded, full yellow 2 stars and red 1 star.

At the moment amount of damage your planet takes does not have much impact but eventually when I get round to it, it will have a big impact on your total score at the end of a stage.

Controls

Left & Right Arrows - Clock Anti Clock
WASD - Up Down Left and Right
Space - Breaking Thrusters.
Left Shift - Bullet Shield
Right Click - Build Planet Shielding
Left Click - Shoot stuff.

Extra Info
Drops with a green base colour are good, yellow base colour are ok and blue are negative.

Negative drops are not always a bad thing, for example if your ship speed is to high then you might want a ship slow which is blue, to slow your ship down.

After stage 2 the game will probably crash stage 1 should be fully functional, stage 2 is a near copy of stage 1 just there to show the warp section in action, stage 3 and beyond will probably crash the game so your only really testing stage 1 and it's 5 waves.

Thanks.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#2]
Looks great Paul... but please use atlases it'll speed up loading (it took over 30 minutes to load here, so I stopped it at Molten Volcano) and you might need it for your Android build anyway.

With the Texture Packer app (https://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker) you can still work on the original graphics and it'll update the atlas for you next time you load up the atlas project.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#3]
I don't use Atlases during development because I work on the art assets almost every day and having to pack-repack those assets got to be such a chore, once things are final I will pack most of them, the main issue however is not the lack of packing its more that the assets themselves have tons of extra layer data that they don't need what I will do is flatten all the art in the dropbox folder that should speed things up massively.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#4]
Ok flattened the art took it from well over 100 meg down to 13 meg so the loading time in terms of the assets should be minimal, if its still slow then its more likely that its just the speed dropbox can serve the data and since I don't have any where else to host it, it will have to do for now sorry..

therevills(Posted 2016) [#5]
Something you may also want to watch out is that some Android devices do not like textures over 1024x1024 and I noticed that your starfield backgrounds are 1200x1200.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#6]
I'm not sure I will be building for Android with this one given the box 1:1 dimension ratio, it runs nice on my phone and tablet but with autofit on it gets squashed and with it off there are ugly borders , not to mention the lack of control's as the game has a number of keybindings and I might need more soon if I do decide to build it for mobile I will probably need to cut back a lot of things.

My plan at the moment is windows, html5 and possibly Linux which will give me access to keyboard and mouse and gamepad for all my button needs, once I have a finished game running on those targets I will think about mobile & tablet.