Background - feedback?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Background - feedback?

silentshark(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi guys,

We are having a bit of a debate about whether a darker or lighter background works best for our upcoming game, which involves tanks. I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to help settle the debate by indicating if they think background 1 or background 2 is better.

I have a view, but don't want to lead the witness..

Many thanks!

Capn Lee(Posted 2015) [#2]
the green in the top image is too close to the green you're using for the tanks so I'd recommend lightening it or tinting it to differentiate it from that.
I'd also recommend cutting the contrast down a bit, it is a little bit too busy for the background. it is drawing the eye a bit too much.

Ignore how blurred that looks there, it was the quickest way to decrease the contrast

Although the bottom image is clearly blurred and stretched out of proportion, it's a lot closer in color to what i'd recommend.

Phil7(Posted 2015) [#3]
Same opinion here. The blurred look of the second background makes it seem as if it were something far away and not the surface the rocks are lying on.
My first thought was a more yellowish green keeping the same contrast/blur as the first background.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2015) [#4]
Agreeing with Capn Lee here. The problem is the background clashes with the foreground because it distracts attention with its level of detail. Changing its brightness and blurring it is just one way to solve the problem, but a better way may be to alter the hue of the background somewhat (or the sprites) so that they stand out against each other. Lowering the contrast wouldn't hurt, either, but you could try doing both at once by applying a solid color layer above the BG texture, and reducing the alpha as necessary. It will look a bit cheap, though. Either tint it, or change the hue slightly and lower the contrast. (You can also opt to soft-blur it, but it's not necessary if sufficient BG/FG contrast is achieved through other means.)

Edit: Crude mockup

Capn Lee(Posted 2015) [#5]
your mockup is a lot better done than mine :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#6]
As the other's have said your brighter grass is better, I think you should also take a look at your rock sprites, because of your dark outline it makes them stand right out from the grass and gives a look like their hovering over the land, an easy solution to this is to give them a shadow which is very simple to do, another neat trick is to pixel in some grass actually on the rock's just a few little grass stalks at the base will make them really look like they belong in a field.

therevills(Posted 2015) [#7]
I prefer the first screen shot myself :)

silentshark(Posted 2015) [#8]
thank you all for taking the time to provide some guidance. Much appreciated. I think we will go for a version of screenshot #1 with contrast and hues suitably adjusted..