Jewel of Orion II - retro shoot 'em up

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Jewel of Orion II - retro shoot 'em up

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hey all! Years ago I started a shoot 'em up in BlitzBasic (remember that one!) but never finished it as the lack of OOP bothered me.

Anyway, I finally finished it in Monkey using my minigame framework. This is a small fun project that I did over several days.

You can play it here:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/GreyAlien/jewel-of-orion-ii

Tell me what you think, thanks!

GW_(Posted 2015) [#2]
Congrats.
Pretty fun, until the enemies came up out the bottom and killed me before even appearing on screen, then i quit the game, 'cause f**k that.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2015) [#3]
It's solid but feels like something done more as a technical exercise than anything else. It's always hard to know what feedback to give on these sorts of things as success or failure is really more about what you wanted to achieve.

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#4]
Thanks for playing. I just wanted to code a basic shoot 'em up with powerups and enemy waves and have it get harder and be fun, even if it's just fun for a couple of minutes. I think I achieved that. It's like a self-contained thing. There's more I could do, of course, but as a simple complete mini-game it works imho.

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#5]
Shooting games are always fun to play. Thanks grey!

Derron(Posted 2015) [#6]
Tried it but think on wave 8 I got a screen full of enemies - moving from everywhere leaving _no_ space to avoid collision. As the "bottom" was filled too, there was no possiblity to move below everything and shoot them down. Some seconds later enemies tried to fill screen again - this time leaving about 4 slots (a bit bigger as the ship) to avoid lethal collisions.
Dunno what happens to the "shield" and how to use it? I tried it and sometimes I was able to "hit" an enemy one-two-times, and sometimes it seems not to be enabled.

Also "random powerups" might help in the early game even if not wanted: with luck you get more simultaneous bullets and fire speed - so each enemy is killed within a fraction of a second.
-> just move left/right killing everything on "hit" while trying to avoid collisions. As powerups only give 1000 once you have everything, I think you could avoid collecting them if you just want to reach new levels

Checked movement with WASD during first try and then died on a horizontally equally aligned enemy wave - on the next try I recognized that you can move freely - and died on wave 8 (see above).

bye
Ron

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#7]
Nice! I like it!

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#8]
Thanks!

Yeah it can get tough at times due to the increasing difficulty of the randomly created enemy waves and the random creation of powerups. Sometimes you have a good run and other times not. But I wanted it like that, so it's more like a Roguelike-like shoot 'em up that one in which you memorise the enemy patterns.

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#9]
That was pretty fun! Made it to around wave 12 and things got pretty crazy. I really liked the feeling of progression from slow pea shooter to high speed super cannon. I think if you had some way of allowing for rear or sideways firing it would make it even better. Enemies coming from behind or the sides felt a bit unfair as there was no way to deal with them, at least that I could see.

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#10]
@arawkins: Yeah that would be cool. Xenon II style side and rear shooters. Basically you can't go near the edges, gotta stay in the middle and dodge round those waves. But yeah it can get unfair sometimes I agree.