WASD - Ludum Dare 31

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/WASD - Ludum Dare 31

Raz(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi all, for anyone interested, here is my entry into Ludum Dare 31. A game with the totally original name, WASD.

Windows, OSX and Linux build links available here : http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=15929

Very pleasantly surprised to have made the deadline even though I only managed to work on it for 12 or so hours and it was a bit of a cram towards the end!

skape(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hi Chris! Was an HTML5 build not feasible for this project? (Just curious. :) )

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#3]
I enjoyed that. Really fun exercise in level design. The controls need fixing (looks like you're using an if else cascade, which means that some combos work and others don't and makes zigzagging annoying) and rendering method performance needs addressing (I'm guessing this is a reason why HTML5 is a no go) but for a 12hr jam game it's a winner.

Raz(Posted 2014) [#4]
Hi Unlikely,

because of the cheap nasty way I coded it, HTML5 just didn't really run well enough. Things were a bit rushed so effectively each pixel on the screen was me drawing a 1x1 image, awful right?

Pierrou(Posted 2014) [#5]
Funny game but somewhat tough to play on an AZERTY keyboard :)

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2014) [#6]
I just finished it. You made that ending a bit too easy, Chris. I originally thought I was supposed to go up towards the "12PM", but apparently I was supposed to go down where there wouldn't be any danger. I'd say that's a bit of a let down. Also, as muddy_shoes said, you should probably revise your input code to make moving around easier. I also got some sound hiccups, but nothing major.

Still a fun little distraction, though.

Raz(Posted 2014) [#7]
THanks for trying all :)

Pierrou, oof! The arrow keys work too, but for the sake of the title, I used WASD ;)

Muddy: Yeah the controls are very shoddy, before, it was possible to move diagonally, but this was causing issues that I couldn't be bothered to fix in time.

The rendering engine itself is absolute pants, I put no valuable thought or effort into it and went with a 2d array of pixels because it seems the quickest and most manageable way to deal with things. It has made me wonder how would be best to handle shroud and what not though.

Immutable: Did you see the Merry Christmas message?