Destroyetor: a 2D HTML5 action game prototype

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Destroyetor: a 2D HTML5 action game prototype

itto(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi guys, this is a prototype I've been developing in a couple of weeks back in February with a friend, the very first time I started using Monkey! We were wondering if we should aim to make it into a finished game or move on with something else. Would a game like this still be interesting nowadays?

Click here to play

Instructions: WASD (move) + mouse (aim/fire)

Update 2015-02-07

- Implemented many missing graphics
- Balanced gameplay
- Overall polishing

Update 2015-01-17

- Added power up icons
- Improved graphics, UI and gameplay

Update 2014-11-23

- Added main screen
- Added wall shadows

Update 2014-10-09

- Added turrets
- Characterized enemies with specific stats and weapons

Update 2014-10-06

- Added mini kamikaze robots

Update 2014-09-30

- Added playable flying unit (can fly over anything, but its bullets still collide with obstacles)
- The big unit can now crush opponents into walls or corners

Screenshots:

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#2]
Depends on what you want to achieve with the game, who do you wanna target. Do you want to make money with it?

itto(Posted 2014) [#3]
I guess the only realistic target would be Facebook or other HTML5 game portals for now. Money is not a goal at the moment, we would just like to have a finished game and were wondering if this could be a good choice (it won't be easily playable on a mobile device for example).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#4]
The one thing you need to realise about the Internet when it comes to games, There is a Market for EVERYTHING, seriously, google something stupid there will be a page for it, the world is big and there are a lot of people on it with Internet and game ready devices.

So make that thing Shine :)

Suggestions ::

Slow down the enemy bullets, give the player a chance to be able to actually dodge them, the difficulty will arrive as you add more hostiles, even slow moving bullets can be a serious pain when there are a lot of them.

Keep your player bullets nice and quick, players like to feel like their bullets are better its a human nature kinda thing and feels better as you play it as well.

Other than that. its looking good.

itto(Posted 2014) [#5]
Thanks for the suggestions! We thought about that and we decided to go on developing this, it's already in a playable state so it's just a matter of adding some interesting features and creating a good gameplay. We also plan to start a development blog with it :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#6]
You should check out wordpress for your bloging solution.

itto(Posted 2014) [#7]
Already did, even though I often prefer self-made solutions as I'm good with web stuff, but wordpress is a no-brainer at that anyway so more often than not I end up using it.

Can I keep updating this post anyway along with the blog?

Raul(Posted 2014) [#8]
nice prototype. you should continue and finish the game. I played time ago a flash game similar to what are you working at.

you can sell additional missions or weapons later, but first you must finish it.

what have you used for the Share button?

itto(Posted 2014) [#9]
@Raul thanks for the suggestions! It's a kind of game which was popular as flash games some years ago, that's why we were not sure if it would be a good idea to go on with that or move on... the share button is a native html link placed on top of the iframe, which calls the FB.ui function of the FB JavaScript API (that's why it doesn't get blocked by popup blockers, because it respond to a click event generated by a user action, hence it's considered safe by the browser). The New game button it's also a link, which closes the html div and give focus back to the iframe. That was the fastest solution I came across in absence of a FB library, it works ok for a prototype :)

itto(Posted 2014) [#10]
New update! added indestructible obstacles on the battlefield and implemented the Box2D physics engine (many kudos to @muddy_shoes for the exceptional port!).

http://oscarwings.com/2014/09/23/destroyetor-update/

TeaBoy(Posted 2014) [#11]
@itto, I really like this game, so many opportunities, especially multiplayer! perhaps implement websockets :o)

itto(Posted 2014) [#12]
@TeaBoy thanks for the feedback! I already implemented a websocket module, complete with a backend setup to allow multiplayer games, so that would definitely be possible. But although I realize the potentiality of multiplayer in a game like this, it's not a priority right now. The goal is to release a finished product (finally! ;)) so we are planning to implement the bare minimum to make it an enjoyable experience, albeit a single player one. The "arena mode" you can play now is already nice, but a single player campaign with different locations and rooms would be cool too :)

itto(Posted 2014) [#13]
Update! Added a playable flying unit (can fly over anything, but its bullets still collide with obstacles) and the big unit is now able to crush opponents into walls or corners! ^^

itto(Posted 2014) [#14]
Update! Added mini kamikaze robots! These nasty dudes only want to run at you and explode on contact, beware! More on our blog...

itto(Posted 2014) [#15]
Update! Added turrets, and custom stats and weapons to every enemy!

itto(Posted 2014) [#16]
Update! Added main screen and walls :)

itto(Posted 2015) [#17]
Back to work after the holidays, and already an update! Added the power up icons and tweaked various aspects of the graphics, UI and gameplay.

itto(Posted 2015) [#18]
Latest version online! Implemented many missing graphics, balanced gameplay and did an overall polishing :)

Destroyetor

TeaBoy(Posted 2015) [#19]
ooooh.... This oozes sweetness!

What about adding an AI feature where you can code your own bot to fight battles on your behalf? Have alook at RoboCode to see what i mean.

http://robocode.sourceforge.net/

itto(Posted 2015) [#20]
@TeaBoy that would be an interesting feature to add. I know RoboCode, I was really fascinated the first time I saw it many years ago (I think as far as 2000 already, possible?) and replicating that "code your own robot behavior" feature is something I've always kept in my mind, thanks for the hint! :)
Nevertheless this was just a quick way for us to discover Monkey, and we were thinking about marking it done and move on with other things.