Orbit.. wip.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Orbit.. wip.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
Anyone fancy a little shot of my WIP game ?
http://www.littleember.com/Games/orbit/html5/index.html

Controls ..
Aim with Mouse , Left Mouse to Fire.
Arrow Keys to move.

1,2..6 - Diff fire modes.
-,+ Cycle through the planets (Sun is not planet 1)

Erm, that should do , no game over, just assume if an asteroid actually gets through your shield and hits the planet that you would see a game over.

Considering doing or trying this as a twin stick shooter, think it might play really nice with an Xbox pad.

skape(Posted 2014) [#2]
Looking really cool, Paul. Took me a bit to get used to the controls. I was expecting right arrow to be clockwise and left arrow counter (anti)-clockwise consistently around the planet. :)

Dual stick as an option would be nice.

As usual, I like your art style!

mjcamerer(Posted 2014) [#3]
Was fun! I like the idea. One suggestion; I did not like having to switch arrow keys when moving around the circle. If I press and hold right, I would like to keep moving in that direction all the way around without having to switch keys halfway around the circle. Other than that, this looks like a great start! I hope you do decide to add Xbox controller support in the future, I think that would be a blast!

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#4]
As others said the movement was not intuitive. As gamers we should be able to think upside down. :)

Looks fun I'm sure you could do a lot with this.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#5]

That's the problem in a nut shell, it sounds simple enough but I found through testing that more often than not when the ship is a south facing position and your still for more than a second the instant you go to move your brain instinctively hits left or right and expects your ship to move in that direction but the result is of course not as expected so you get this odd feeling of the controls being broken or at least something being off.

To combat that I came up with the D-Pad style solution, if I am pressing LEFT then I want to move to the left of the ring, if I am pressing UP then i want to move to the top of the ring, I found that after a short and shallow learning curve the fluidity of motion around the run using this system was smoother with far less if any errors, and you're not left with that feeling that you'r ship is traveling in the wrong direction, the only thing you need to do is master what I call walking your ship around the ring left,up,right,down etc....

There is a third option which I have not tried as I think it might cause more problems than it would solve and that's to have the ship automatically traverse the ring until it's sitting under the target, this would be a nice solution for mobile as some people don't like tilt to move, but I am going to hold off from implementing that at the moment as it's not important enough, but it's something I have on paper.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#6]
I've been looking forward on playing this! Really nice!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#7]
nice to know that I seem to be heading in the right direction, it's going to be interesting to see how the gameplay changes when I add the alien space ships to the mix.

On that subject I could use a little suggestive help, I want to add some form of close range melee attack the purpose of which will be to stop/deflect/destroy alien bullets/missiles but I am struggling to come up with an idea that I like on how to go about that, I would like some nice little animation just not sure what to make it look like visually..

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#8]
That is a really interesting concept! Nice work!

skape(Posted 2014) [#9]
On that subject I could use a little suggestive help, I want to add some form of close range melee attack the purpose of which will be to stop/deflect/destroy alien bullets/missiles but I am struggling to come up with an idea that I like on how to go about that, I would like some nice little animation just not sure what to make it look like visually..

Some kind of small animated shockwave?

W.r.t controls: I found the d-pad style controls to be fine after getting used to them. Additionally, it seems like this would be a natural way to implement gamepad support... Keep it up!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#10]
Here is a little Vine showing what I am working on today, that being planets taking damage which is or will be the players life, trying to keep HUD style text and icons with this to a bare minimum so trying to make everything visual, other than the score I hope.

Since that vine was kinda hard to see. here is the art work for the damage, two layers, the planet and then the damage which fits over all other planets.

skape(Posted 2014) [#11]
Looks cool Paul. For some reason, your art reminds me somehow of the art style in some old Neo Geo games I played many years ago. (That's a good thing.) ;)

Just wondering, you still using Fireworks?

degac(Posted 2014) [#12]
Nice game logic!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#13]
New Test up.. same link as before..

http://www.littleember.com/Games/orbit/html5/MonkeyGame.html

I would love to know if that loading screen actually tics up as expected , its the built in one that comes with diddy but iv not used it till now and I cant actually tell if its working or not lol.

Also powerups you need to collect with your ship, if they get past you then youv lost em, I would love to know frame rates, you should see FPS top left some where, most of the powerups work and do something beneficial.

Left Mouse is still Fire
Right Mouse is now Shield repair

The mechanics at the moment are either clear all asteroids, or make your shield all green, if your time runs out all asteroids will feel the pull of the planets gravity.

The final mechanics will the you have a time limit to make your shield all green, during this time frame asteroids will be maintained at a fixed level so no matter how many you kill there will always be x number of y asteroids, once you run out of time this mechanic will switch and asteroids will stop respawning, at that point its either green your shield, or kill all the asteroids, oh and of course 3 hits on your planet will eventually game over you.

skape(Posted 2014) [#14]
Hey Paul. Good progress.

I tried it out on my Mac, Firefox 31.0

The game runs around 60 fps till there are explosions / extra going on, when it drops to about 50 fps. Starting on the second level (and third) the input started getting really strange and laggy. The fps didn't really drop much below 50, but the input made it pretty much unplayable...

Cool explosion graphics. Getting pretty fun. ;)

EDIT:
On Chrome 37, it ran very very well. Don't think I noticeably got it to drop below 60 fps even with lots of explosions / debris / small roids. There was a small hitch / pause every time a new level was about to start, but it wasn't bad.

On Safari, performance was similar to Chrome. Nice and smooth.

As a side note: I don't know what all you have planned, but a defense turret satellite powerup would be cool--maybe upgradable with further powerups? Maybe you can collect scraps from wreckage and use it to buy upgrades in between levels? :D

Landon(Posted 2014) [#15]
That's a really interesting game.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#16]
That's a nice idea , gona write that down :)

Yeah html5 and browsers will always be odd when it comes to getting things to run the same speed, for html5 you cant beat chrome its a brilliant browser and faster than the rest, I will have a chrome recomended label some where :)

As for actual plans I really don't have anything solid this was only meant to be a little prototype but I am having fun making it so will polish it up some and possibly release it on android if the frame rate is ok. otherwise it will be html5 and desktop.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#17]
Actually, my plan is to add a few more powerups, do some bullet damage/asteroid and alien health fine tuning , add the aliens 3 of them, and some very basic AI and then STOP!!! lol or I will be adding to it forever and never finish it. :)

therevills(Posted 2014) [#18]
Looking really nice Paul!

With the planet damage have you thought about animation for the lava/smoke etc?

Also what about gravity affecting the asteroids?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#19]
If I start down the long road of animating one of the planets I would need to do them all, thinking about the gas giants hurts my brain all that gass swirling around, it would look cool and I have the skills but it would take ages.

And yeah once the timer at the top right of the screen hits zero the gravity gets turned on and almost all of the asteroids on screen will be pulled to the planet, if your lucky some will actually establish a non degrading orbit, at least until you hit it will a bullet and change its path.