Fleapy Flea

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Fleapy Flea

musimoo(Posted 2014) [#1]
Top-down platform/swing/conveyor hop game thing based around a very crude pseudo physics engine (engine likely too strong a word)- just enough to get some emergent behavior (as in stuff I never actually expected it to do!).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alphapigeon.fleapyflea

Finally got round to doing an app in Monkey over the last few weeks. Has been good fun- feels like having a ridiculously powerful Amiga to play with (which was when I last did any game stuff). :)

Hop (sorry) you like it? Very open to suggestions and feedback.

Thanks,
Musimoo

musimoo(Posted 2014) [#2]
Edit - old video removed

Snader(Posted 2014) [#3]
Pretty cool! Reminds me of the old MSX days.

musimoo(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thanks. I see what you mean re. MSX - the small sprite for the flea especially. The feedback I'm getting elsewhere is that the controls (swipe left or right to rotate and tap to hop) are too fiddly, especially on smaller screen phones. Some people like the controls though so need to work on choice of several different control types. Going to try "flea faces wherever you click" and "rotate based on absolute swipe distance" (as well as current "rotate speed by swipe distance"). So I know what I will be doing this weekend...

degac(Posted 2014) [#5]
Nice 'mechanic'.
I like the concept, but the graphics is too old, plain and without charme for my tastes. (the grey background is - honestly - horrible)

musimoo(Posted 2014) [#6]
Appreciate the candid feedback, thanks.
Have done a little bit of a makeover this evening on the graphics- redone textures (inc. brighter colors), added a bit of color to the sprites and using a faded background to give a bit of a sense of depth (with no more grey backgrounds!). Also added a trail to the main flea character when jumping to spice it up a bit.

New video (bit choppy and no sound due to using "adb.exe shell screenrecord"- runs at what looks like 60fps on Nexus 7 2012 complete with musak) ...