Pinkie's Balloon Trip [Beta Version needs Testing]

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Pinkie's Balloon Trip [Beta Version needs Testing]

MisterBull(Posted 2014) [#1]
I have a beta version of my current game up and ready to be tested.

Note#1: its MLP FiM related, just a heads up for people who dont like that series and would rather not see/play anything related to it :P

Note#2: the final version will be on my main website and with its own fancy smansy page (and forum) to go with it. So to anybody out there who likes to submit things to blogs or what-not: this game isnt ready yet. Please wait for the official release before posting it to a blog.thanks for your consideration and your friendly contributions :3

enjoy!
http://misterbull.hostkart.net/

MisterBull(Posted 2014) [#2]
whelp, I'm officially releasing it today :P
http://misterbull.hostkart.net/Games/Brony/PinkiesBalloonTrip/

cheers!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Not my cup of Tea, but it looks good and plays well .

One thing I would say tho, something that's very distracting and annoying is that the art style is very fuzzy, for me at least its really hard to read a lot if not all of the text as a result, you might consider dropping the fuzz a little or making the text brighter so it stands out some more, kinda feels like I have some one else glasses on when I look at it, if you know what I mean.

MisterBull(Posted 2014) [#4]
thanks for the suggestion, I'll actually look into it later on (spent this whole week trying to get this thing put together and I really need a break. lol :P )

John McCubbin(Posted 2014) [#5]
Great stuff

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#6]
I agree on the font. That's Ugggg-Lee!!! The highscore table, in particular, is completely and totally unreadable.
Yuk!

But other than that, it's a nice game, and it works well.

Tip, if you start with larger sprites and scale down in monkey, rather than starting small and scaling up, it tends to make things less "smooth" in HTML5 mode, and you get slightly crisper edges on your sprites.
Oh, and I'd try to find something less like the original, as far as the music's concerned. It's a little bit "TOO" Balloon Trip, with all the audio and everything. Nintendo would kick your arse for all that.

MisterBull(Posted 2014) [#7]
@ElectricBoogaloo

Thankfully the grand majority of the sound effects were manually rendered from a sfx generator called cTone and are not direct rips from the gameboy game

in fact the only two things that were ripped from the game were the death jingle and the leaderboard victory jingles.

My friend who likes to compose music has actually offered to do some original music for the game, which I'm hoping could be done for version 2.0 :)

I'll also work on the font for that version :P

as far as using larger sprites and downsizing them, sure I've considered it but its a bit late for this game now and I really dont want to go through the process of recoding everything to fit those resized sprites :P

maybe someday in the future... but really, for now, I just want to move on to other projects ^^;

Also, sorry about the fonts. I was trying to stay true to the retro style by using NES style font faces and I sort of smoothed them out in Paint Shop Pro... perhaps I went a bit overboard with the gausian blur filter :P

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#8]
The fuzziness isn't as much of an issue as the fact that the font is rather dark against the dark background. That, more than the fuzziness, is what's causing the lack of readability.

MisterBull(Posted 2014) [#9]
that can actually be fixed pretty quickly check back in about five minutes or so :P

MisterBull(Posted 2014) [#10]
there we go

its a bit too bright for my taste, really but it certainly is more readable ^^;