Controls ??

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Controls ??

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
Quick peek at orbit, this will only be active till tomorrow so if you want a shot grab it quick.

Quick controls Arrow Keys and Mouse to Aim and Shoot.
Cheat Keys 1,2,3,4,5,6 change fire modes. -+ change planets.

Wont go into detail of the game play yet, still not got the main bad guys done yet, my reason for posting is that I am uneasy with my choice of controls, up down left and right to move your gun to the top bottom left or right of the planetoid your at.

Without wanting to bias to results I will wont say what my issue is, just have a shot if you have some spare time, blast some asteroids and move around a but let me know what you think..

thanks in advance.

Play Now

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#2]
PS: it might take a sec to load and then end in a blank page, when it does just hit refresh, seems dropbox is being a little slow , at least for me tonight.

Steve Ancell(Posted 2014) [#3]
Page finishes loading but no download or links to any downloads, just getting a blank page here even after doing the refresh thing. :-/

Jesse(Posted 2014) [#4]
It won't display anything until I click on the browser game window(Safari & Chrome). Safari on my mac lags really badly I would say from 20 to 2 frames per second. Chrome plays OK...

Personally I am not fund of the control. I would have preferred a two button control (left for clockwise rotation and right for counterclockwise rotation). I think the simpler the control the better.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#5]
I am surprised at the horrible framerate's specially considering rendering wise I'm really not doing that much and I am pooling the game objects so not calling new all the time either, it should be full speed, I wonder why its slow.

Anyway yeah the controls bothered me at first but I got really fluid with them, but your also not the first person to suggest a simple two button system of clockwise and anti clockwise, so I think I will try that next and play it for a bit and see how it goes, I should say that it is the mobile control method, simply replace the left and right arrow keys with tilting the phone left or right so the code is done, I just need to change a few lines to active it on key press.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#6]
"Quick controls Arrow Keys and Mouse to Aim and Shoot."

One of these days I'll plug a mouse into my laptop, so I can play games the way they're intended.
.. until that day, 95% of FPS are off limits, and so is your game.
"Mouse and keyboard" doesn't work well on a laptop.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#7]
I will add an input option with laptops in mind, but I have to say that controlling the aim with keys will not feel nearly as good as it does with a mouse, so you will lose a lot of fidelity, but at least you will be able to have a shot.