project??? - suggestions required.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/project??? - suggestions required.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]

Started to actually write some code for this today, some of you may recall the art from an earlier thread.

On PC I think this is going to play out really nice, moving the gun around the ring with keys/pad and shooting at the target reticle, but I'm not sure what the best route forward is in terms of mobile.

I could use that virtual D-Pad I did in bit invaders , one for the ship and the other for the target reticle, but people seem to get miffed with that control system, so at this very early stage I am open to suggestions on how I might best proceed.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#2]
Thanks caffeinekid you just gave me an idea in that other thread for using tilt to control my gun, that free's the players finger up to aim :), works like a charm ... would not have thought about it other wise..

Still open to other suggestions tho.

degac(Posted 2014) [#3]
Well I think you need only 3 controls:
- one virtual button to turn the ship clockwise
- one to turn the ship anti-clockwise
- 'touch' on the target to fire

tilting screen is annoying and not precise, personally I dont' use it

Of course I would setup a FULL option panel with the best solution for the player: tilting, 2 virtual pad (one for the ship, one for the aiming...) and so on

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#4]
The tilt seems to work really well and given that the location of the ship is less important than where your aiming it's actually ok, That being said, and I'm not sure if its because my hand is sore after a fall, but tilting all the time even as I test is actually starting to really annoy me.

I think a thumb stick on the bottom left corner to control the pod, and then one in the bottom right to aim the gun might be a good system but that will mean having the ship just perma fire which might not always be a good thing.

Will wait for more feedback I am confident that some one here has hit this sort of situation already and with any luck come up with a really good solution.

slenkar(Posted 2014) [#5]
wot about swipe left to rotate left
swipe right to rotate right
tap to fire

or hold down on an onscreen button to fire

You could also use onscreen controls for movement but onscreen D-Pads are worthless
you would need to devote an area of the screen to controls and make the buttons really big

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#6]
I think for sure this is going to boil down to finding the least annoying system rather than finding the perfect system because when it comes to games like this your always going to have that finger in the way blocking your view of at least part of the screen.