Boneyard City

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Boneyard City

Anatol(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi community,

I've been working on a Monkey project for a while, and to this point it's been only a prototype, albeit a full working one with a lot of features. It’s basically a quite flexible framework for interactive picture books, and being developed in Monkey X it’s conveniently cross platform.

Below is a short video that showcases a few things (also available in HD at Youtube and Vimeo).

— All illustrations by Philip Peacocke —

I thought I share this video here even though there’s no book available as an app at this stage. Being an interactive picture book it has a different style compared to most games and I thought it’s worthwhile to show that Monkeycode is flexible enough for these types of projects.

This is the very first app I’ve been working on and the “Monkey community” has been tremendously helpful in the process. I’ve learned heaps through the forums here and from everyone who kindly replied to my questions, so thank you!

A more complete list of features can be found at http://portfolio.nugob.org/boneyard-city .

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#2]
Very cool!

Looking at those planes I'm in doubt: is this 2D or full 3D?

Anatol(Posted 2014) [#3]
Hi SLotman, thanks, I really enjoy developing in Monkey. The planes and the entire project are 2D but with separate multipliers for the movements of each sprite you get a pretty good 3D illusion, and I also work with 3D vectors to calculate the size and position of 2D sprites in relation to their position in a virtual 3D space (if that makes any sense). I didn't think that actual 3D content would suit the style of this book.

I pre-rendered the animated planes' cloud trail in a 3D program (Blender), but in Monkey I just use a 2D spritesheet of this trail and transform and rotate it slightly according to the device accelerometer. This creates another quite convincing 3D effect, but it's 2D only.

It was quite nice to experiment with 2D workarounds to achieve 3D effects without the "typical 3D look". I really enjoy to work within these limitations.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yeah, I understand what you mean, about projecting 3D in 2D. I only asked if it was 3d, because it is so well done - and I though you would maybe be using minib3d.

Make sure you post your video in this thread: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=7964&page=last !