Cassette 50: Kramer vs. Kramer

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Cassette 50: Kramer vs. Kramer

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#1]
I'm not going to post this in the app forum because it's a terrible demo of Monkey but it might be of interest to others.

Retroremakes.com is running a (no prizes) competition based around the theme of Cassette 50, which was a famously awful budget games collection in the 80s. The entries are meant to be rubbish.

I decided to put something together and, based on the loose theme of "one screen" versions of other properties, I made a ZX Spectrum interpretation of Kramer vs Kramer in Monkey.

Here it is: http://stickydesigns.com/kramerflash/kramer.html

As it's a joke that primarily relies on knowing something about a 1970s film, 1980s home computer hardware and arty game design pretensions I doubt it will resonate with many here. The process of recreating the ZX Spectrum rendering hardware was interesting though and involves a lot of pixel manipulation so I might write a blog post about it at some point.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2014) [#2]
Nice work on the Spectrum graphics! Didn't make it past the first screen, though...

I did something similar in the old Max3D using shaders -- was fun to figure out. Would be interesting to see if a real/emulated Speccy shows the same image:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php?topic=85668&post=995661

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#3]
There is no past the first screen. There's a win condition but you just get a text win screen. It's part of the joke although I do have ideas for a Kramer vs Kramer trilogy.

The graphics bit was fun. I ended up reading a fair bit of technical data and notes from coders back then. The way I render sprites isn't really true to how it was but I think the overall effect is close to what a sloppy coder would have seen.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#4]
By the way what's the decision algorithm for choosing in and paper in your shader? It looks like you're picking the nearest darkest and nearest lightest, allowing ink and paper to both be the same, and then nearest neighbour from the original to the ink and paper choices.

John Galt(Posted 2014) [#5]
This is terrible... which is a compliment I guess given the inspiration! :D
You caught the speccy feel to a tee. Impressive attribute clash emulation! Just needs a loading screen now with a flashy border and 15 minute wait....