Pixel Art.. concept only atm.. code soon TM!.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Pixel Art.. concept only atm.. code soon TM!.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
First up, the player, in the games case you will control an Orbital Cannon used to protect something in space, probably planets, large space stations , moons, death stars I dunno yet :)

Edit, Pushing new sprites to the OP for easier viewing.

Player.

Asteroids & debri

Aliens.

Boss's

And a Mock of the first planet, and how the gun will look around it, the player will move the gun around the ring, the gun itself will track the Mouse or Finger for mobile if I do mobile..

I was planning to make this an attempt at 1GAM, but got really impatient and could'nt wait till the start of the month, I will try and get it playable tho before Feb 1st, the scope is nice and small and its going to be an endless wave shooter so I don't foresee many issues. touch wood :).

FEEDBACK.. key word.. always welcome.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#2]
Did you created these gfx? If yes, great job.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Yup I do all my own art . Do some freelance as well :).

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#4]
Well done, lovely graphics style.

A lot of people forever to create the code, then do the in-game graphics. I actually prefer the opposite, as long as the design is rock solid, a nice set of graphics can be inspirational when it comes to the development of the code.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#5]
Looks great! Another game already?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#6]
Just a distraction , only gona spend a few days on it..

Raul(Posted 2014) [#7]
i like the style. not the pixel art in particular but i like that image you show us.

you should make it mobile, too ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#8]
I will try for mobile but im not sure how well it will work , the planet will be in the middle of the screen and you defend it from incoming hostiles, as the mobile target tends to be landscape it may cause some issues, but we will see.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#9]
Oh @sammy Yeah I NEVER write code first.

I do this.

Currently Still on step 2, Creating Digital Sprites from my sketches.

It looks like a lot of iteration, and I guess there is but it's not something you would really notice because it all blends into the actual act of creating a new piece of art, you iterate anyway, I also think that working like this has a lot of benefits and very few if any downsides, some of which are that while creating the art, the art itself often spurs on creative insight into the game and spawns new ideas which is cool, by the time I get to the write code section I have already created all the essential sprites and objects to create something that will play, as a result I already know how many frames everything will use, how big everything is, and where exactly everything needs to be positioned thanks to the scenario mochup.

Once I get to the code section I spend very little time on planning, my art assets indicate what class's I might need, what functionality that class might require etc etc and I go from there.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#10]
Draw this sketch last night before bed, to concept out the 3 aliens, and a few asteroids.

And here is the finished Squid alien with an Idle animation, this little guy will grab asteroids and then release them toward the planet, so asteroids will randomly float by some may just drift without causing problems some may be on a collision course with the planet and need destroying and others will be snatched up by these little guys and flung your plants direction.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#11]
Ew I shouldn't type out post on my phone. :P

That's an interesting development process Paul, similar to my own. It kind of goes against convention but the benefits, though subtle are very tangible when it comes to project motivation and self encouragement. These are sometimes hardest aspects to overcome in the development process IMHO.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#12]
Yeah it's not for everyone, other than me, yourself and possibly one other person here I think just about everyone else that I know who makes games, and I know a ton lol, all follow the standard model or designing their game, coding it and using place holder art, I used to do that years ago but as you said keeping up motivation was damn near impossible, what helped me back then was that I was in a team so had them always asking for the next bit of code or art that I was tasked with, but now its just me, so this art first system really works for me.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#13]
Thanks Paul for sharing your workflow with us. I was tempted to go this route for a while but never did. Your mark about motivation is a huge one for me. Thanks!

mteo77(Posted 2014) [#14]
I have tried both ways, sketching first and then coding, and coding first with placeholders.
If i code first, all goes well until i start putting something on screen... then i am like "EEEkkkkk!That looks c**p!" and loose motivation.
If i sketch first and code later...motivation is very high from start but then i realise, 6 months later, that i am still sketching the same object because i don't enjoy doing art and also i am very picky...and loose motivation.
So it's a no win situation for me -_- (luckily this is only a hobby...still frustrating though).
Nice graphic, but for some strange reason the clouds looks like they have a different style.

mteo77(Posted 2014) [#15]
I really like the organic movement of the squid.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#16]
few more sprites done today, its getting really cold tho and my hands are freezing so might have to call it a day till the house heats up :(

This is the animation for the squid grabbing onto an asteroid, Z order will be squid over the asteroid, I was going to just draw the asteroid on the squid animation but I think it will look better if I just render the squad over it.

Here is the first peek at the one that shoots bullets, two animations here, one is its fly around animation and the other is it shooting.

and a first pass at the asteroid that will float around the level, I was going to have three various size's for the asteroid but opted just to use one and show its damage rather than making it smaller, I can add that later with some particles.

feedback as always is welcome.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#17]
Edit. I'm gona throw a black background on those anims to make them a bit easier to see. the white of the forum's to bright for them as their designed to be on a black background.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#18]
First pass at the boss from the above sketch..

RENGAC(Posted 2014) [#19]
Nice style, I like it very much!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#20]
And here is the final animation for the aliens, the boss shooting.

In terms of sprites now I just need to do some bullets, some particles, another planet or two and some explosions. lol and I was thinking i was nearly done.

Whiteball(Posted 2014) [#21]
very cool...I wish I could draw like that :(

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#22]
You just trying to upset me Taiphoz? you can draw and code... people like you should be put into a room and only let out so people can boo and jeer at you.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#23]
Sorry Supertino, if it makes you feel any better, I cant make music to save my life, so since my game music tends to suck I need to try and make sure it at least looks good :)

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#24]
I cheat with my graphics, my perry penguin and treasure traps gfx all started life as simple 8x8 or 10x10 pixel art that I created, I then scale them in an image resize tool (forget the name) that can apply many filters, the kind of filters that emulators use. I think the results are surprisingly good as long as you're after a simple cartoon look.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#25]
Here is some more planets.. been working on them today..
Moon

Mars

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#26]
Think I am going to do the solar system, so 9 levels, YES 9, screw science and their removal of Pluto, its still a planet in my humble opinion lol..

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#27]
How about a special secret bonus planet called planet 'X' (Nibiru) some nut jobs think it exists in real life http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_X_(disambiguation)

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#28]
fun fact: The sol system planetoid Eris is larger than Pluto; its discovery in 2005 is what prompted astronomical authorities to define what a planet is. They couldn't do it without either including Eris and a bunch of other recently-discovered rocks and some which would probably be discovered in the far orbits of our solar system in the future, or excluding pluto. So they excluded pluto. Check out some other cool planets in our solar system you've probably never heard of (and their moons):

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#29]
Yeah planetary discovery is something I have followed for years now, I cant wait till we get some better hardware in orbit tho that can detect or filter better light from distant targets, at least that way we might actually get a visual look at a new planet rather than a radio cross section or a solar wobble plot.

As for Pluto, I was one of those people who hated this decision, the conspiracy theorist in my has this image of government telling scientists, "hay we have enough planets or kids struggle with nine so lets called them something else hmmok"

It still seems incredibly stupid to me, so I will fight the system and keep Pluto as a planet in my game :)