Maze Race

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Maze Race

skid(Posted 2014) [#1]

http://nsynth.com/static/mazerace.html

early days but basic tile scrolling of a big map with box2d is back in development

GfK(Posted 2014) [#2]
Controls remind me of the old Codemasters top-down racers!

Think there might be an issue though. I zoomed way out as far as it'd go, and when I zoomed back in to roughly where it was before, the framerate had dropped horribly - it was really choppy.

(Intel 3.1GHz quad core, 32GB RAM, 1GB GeForce GTX650, Windows 7 Ultimate)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thats got potential, this is kinda what I imagined in that other post about mazes, that could be tons of fun cant wait to see what you do with it.

skid(Posted 2014) [#4]
New version is up with joypad support on chrome, on xbox controller a is go, b is turbo, shoulder button are speed up / slow down, bumpers are zoom and steering on the left stick.

Initial MMO test harness coming soon.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#5]
Does Monkey support joypads on Html5 out of the box?

skid(Posted 2014) [#6]
I suspect Mark will be adding it soon. I'm sure looking forward to the weekend so I can do some more work on this project.

skid(Posted 2014) [#7]
Have changed to isometric and added a basic menu system.

Drezan(Posted 2014) [#8]
that's looking real cool.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#9]
Skid are you gona leave it all flat or do you plan to add a little perspective to the car's?

John Galt(Posted 2014) [#10]
Controls remind me of the old Codemasters top-down racers!
+1... and the infuriating lack of control reminds me of 'The last V8'! Definitely needs tightening up a bit, but there's a lot of potential here.

skid(Posted 2014) [#11]
Paul - yes, vehicles will use same isometric sprite engine as trees, i may keep current setup for ground shadows.

I'm baking the road tiles in monkey now and going to try doing the same for player helmets next.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#12]
I never thought of using Box2D for this type of game, well done.

How are you finding it Skid? Speed-wise, don't you have problems with such a large and complex object such as a road map?

skid(Posted 2014) [#13]
The entire maze would have about 16 million edges so yes, am using a method that only includes active cells, hit the B key to show Box2D simulation overlay.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#14]
Cool. IIRC Box2D also includes some sort of spatial grid system for static collide-able objects that helps with larger amounts of collisions. Or maybe I am thinking of Chipmunk? :P

Anyways, well done, the game already looks like it has a lot of potential! :)

skid(Posted 2014) [#15]
Just diving back into this, hoping to have some above ground vs ground layers working soon.

The editor got started last week and throwing the map with mouse feels smoother than any touch finger, i'm not planning on going back to touch until i have a playable desktop experience, finger interfaces are just too depressing </pun>.