Hex Alpha Test.. 1-9

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Hex Alpha Test.. 1-9

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]

Hello all.

I finally have something that I am happy to show to a selected group of cool people ;) (read anyone who cares) what I have been working on of late, what you will get is the first rough 9 levels of Hexanoid in a Windows executable.

What I need from you is feedback, a few words in the comments section of this post, or a reply on our Facebook page, or if your out and about send us a tweet, the method you use is less important, the important thing is that you provide me with feedback, which I can then use to make the game even better.

OK, As for the Test, the working area's right now are the Help,Sound and Play pages, Selecting Play and then Selecting Quest will get you into the game and its first 9 levels, from there its down to you, during this test you will have infinite lives so do not worry to much about losing your little cube, you have extras ;)

Things to note in terms of Gameplay, most of the power-ups are random at the moment, that's just for the test, they will be more fixed in later builds to prevent the uber power's dropping to easily.

Well hope you enjoy, and again , leave feedback some where.

EDIT: Controls - Left and Right Arrow, And Space to launch Ball. (click HELP for more info)
Download - windows - 57meg

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#2]
Looks and sounds nice. One note I'd make is that it's kind of unplayable with the mouse at the moment because you're required to keep the mouse pointer on the "bat". Less of an issue with touch but still maybe worth changing so that control works anywhere or at least within a more generous zone.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Use the Arrow Keys mate, Space launches the ball, if you click Help it shows you the buttons.
As for the area it feels at least far more forgiving on the phone with your finger, but yeah with this build Arrow Keys and space bar to launch your ball.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#4]
Oh yeah, could some one test it on Windows 8 ? got a report of it crashing on Windows 8, would love to know if that's just an isolated thing or if its something else.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#5]
Looks good! Works fine on my Win8.

A few things:
* When going back to the main menu from the game the music stops
* Level 4 needs work, I tried for 5 mins to get the ball (cube?) thru the path and gave up
* Music is not great IMO only :)
* When you have the special effects (ice, slime etc) you cant see your bat fully in some spots
* The look of the bat (slightly 3d) makes it had to judge the right hand side collisions
* Reduce your download by removing the sounds formats that don't work on GLFW

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#6]
Thanks for the feedback..

The music is for gameplay its only on during the menu so I can test the volume controls, it wont persist when you move from the menu to the game, not done the menu music yet.
Oh and I suck huge monkey balls when it comes to music so I wouldn't expect it to get any better :) that's what the left side of the volume slider is for, hell even I don't play with the music on, my son likes it tho so maybe the younger audience wont mind it so much.

Have already adjusted level 4, it's the nature of these games that there be some hard to reach bits and that's something I wish to maintain but not at such an early stage, you were having difficulty because I have a mechanic in dev that's not done yet, when your ball spawns you see a small guide showing where its going to fly, I am going to allow the player to control this, once that's in play that old level 4 will be cake, in the meantime tho I have made it easier to get through the gap.

The Overlay at the bottom while you have a special effect or power is part of the risk of having it, the powers are fairly strong each of them in their own way so I opted to make bat visibility a little harder as a side effect of having this extra power, I was thinking of actually making it worse but if your mentioning it now then I think its probably good as it is.

The shape of the bat was something I wanted to keep 3D , but its not something I want to act as a hazzard to the player so if its doing that I will probably change it, once the bat gains a power its 3D shape is lost anyway because of the snow, lava or goop, so I think a redesign of the normal bat wont be a big deal at all.

Thanks for the Feedback .. it helps a lot.