AGameAWeek - 2014

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/AGameAWeek - 2014

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#1]
Creating AGameAWeek

Each and every week throughout most of the year (It's good to take a break, every now and then!!), I try to create a brand new game. I like to play with different styles and methods, and will usually avoid making things that are too similar to each other. Obviously, this doesn't always work, but for the most part, I aim to make each game different enough that they don't become a chore to play.

Due to the way each game's created, they're usually more fun in short bursts, rather than lengthy playtime sessions. As such, they're probably best suited as Mobile or Browser-based games, which is one of the main selling points of Monkey, to me.

Monkey!(X!)
Thankfully, Monkey lets me significantly cut down on the time I have to spend on each project.
Over Nov-2012 to Jan-2013, I spent some time getting to grip with Monkey. I tested it over and over on different systems, multiple targets, and even got a lot of help from the Twittersphere, to stress test various things on all kinds of Android devices.

I built my own framework from scratch so that I would be absolutely certain that any issues that crop up can easily and quickly be fixed, without having to hassle anyone else to fix X bug or Y issue. When you're working with weekly deadlines, it's much easier not having to annoy other folk to get things fixed within the incredibly tight timescales!

Now that all the pieces are in place, and the framework is in a stable condition, each game is simply a case of focusing on creating nice gameplay experiences. I write the game, and the framework deals with the other stuff.

Spam
The main problem with doing AGameAWeek is that it tends to make a ruddy mess, all over the internet! Every week I'd spam all the forums, posting game after game after game after game.
In many ways, this kind of put me off posting to all the different forums that I could do. I'm not a fan of spam, and if there's some bloomin' idiot constantly posting about his new games every smegging week, that's more than enough to irritate.

Over the past couple of years, I've instead taken to creating single-threads, and constantly updating them as the year progresses. It's marginally less messy that way.
Still gets annoying seeing the same topic constantly getting bumped to the top of the forum, but at least it's not as bad as seeing hundreds of separate threads from me.

Last year's collection was written entirely using Monkey-X. 30 games in total, but only 2 of those have made it onto the Monkey-X "Apps" section. (SpikeDislike2 and BlastTrax). These were definite stand-out games from the year, and I felt they showcased some of the great HTML5 abilities of the language, so were worth putting up onto the main Apps section.
Over 2014, I'll try to stick to the same routine, and only post the better examples of my work, so I don't end up flooding the site with my insanity!

-=-=-=-=-

Jan 07 : Greenie's Mini Quest

This week, I opted to tackle the RPG Genre. It isn't a great big RPG game, instead sticking to simplistic arcade-like rules, and pretty much ignoring most RPG elements entirely.

Roam around the randomly generated dungeon looking for your friend, killing enemy creatures and avoiding deadly spikes (DISLIKE!), whilst collecting items and blowing things up.
Find your friend, move on to the next level, rinse and repeat.

You can Download Greenie's Mini Quest here.

Grey Alien(Posted 2014) [#2]
Is that you @Jayenkai ?

Anyway, yeah huge respect, + you must be insane. I did #onegameamonth in 2013 (and "won" it based on XP) but it was TOUGH. Making sure I shipped something each month alongside my day job of making commercial games + family commitments and general laziness did not make it easy at all. So what you do is just nuts and very admirable. I'd love to do it for a year but just can't afford the time sync right now. Maybe I should just try it for a month sometime...

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#3]
I too hold high respect for anyone that can keep this kind of pace! There are some really nice works in there that Jay has put out. I guess once you get into the mode of being able to crank them out at a high rate, it becomes easier (Note: I am NOT saying EASY) to just keep them churning out. At some point the ideas for new gameplay and concepts must get harder still to come by after each new game is done. I really enjoyed some of the twists he made on some classics - like CentiPong and TetriPong :) Those were some nicely merged together games.

This game looks fun. More like Zelda than a traditional RPG. I love this game style though... I grew up playing the original Zelda games on the original NES when they came out and always liked them since. They are the only reason I'd own a Nintendo console today.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#4]
1 game a week?! I struggle with 1 game a year, then again I often lose interest in projects after a few weeks so maybe you're onto something. Good lucky maybe BRL can put a feature on the from page to showcase your game (and monkey) each week.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#5]
James I have always thought you were mental, not only are you really ill but you some how still manage to go for that walk, and still get a game done a week, in the vernacular of some 16 year old, "Yo mad bro ?", no but really my hat is off to you, blows me away that your able to do what you do....

Personally I could never handle doing a game a week, being Dyslexic I code slower than most people and it means I tend to be very visual in my work flow, the second I think about adding a new sprite to a project I simply cant throw in programmer art I have to spend time and actually flesh out what the sprite might look like when its done, all of this takes up way to much time and simply put rules out a game a week..

So have a little gold star from me for being a game producing badass :)

Raul(Posted 2014) [#6]
it's nice to work at several projects. i started a couple but finnish just a few. to make a new one every week (even a smaller one).. well you must have a lot of patience and time.

good job man. continue this way :D

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#7]
Huge respect for doing this!

I've done games under 24hours, games in 1 month, 6 months and 1 year... and I always have some 'burn out' afterwards - I can't imagine how you can do game after game, one week after the other - really impressive :)

And btw, "Greenie's Mini Quest" plays really good, and it's really impressive for a "1 week game"! Congrats!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#8]
Not every AGameAWeek game is a good AGameAWeek game, and this week is a great example of a good idea falling flat.

Jan 14 Unfinished Vortex Blaster

I started off by creating a lovely little vortex thing, using simple scaling, rotation, and alpha stuff. It really was a quick and easy effect, and I'm quite happy at the results.
So, then I set about trying to add gameplay to my neat little effect, and that's pretty much where it all started to go horribly wrong.
The words "Boring" and "Repetitive" and "uuugh.." spring to mind, as generic space shooter #19475 came plodding along at a stupidly slow rate.
Some point on Sunday I pretty much gave up on the project, and that's exactly the state it's currently in.

I failed to find the sweet spot, and without it, AGameAWeek doesn't really work, so this week's game is being abandoned.
An unfinished Work-In-Progress.

Perhaps some day I'll return to this game, and finally figure out what was missing.
But not today..

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#9]
OK, this week's is better!

Last week was obviously a bit pap, so I threw everything I had at the screen and came up with...

Jan 21 Retroball

Pong!?
.. or maybe not..

It's flashy and colourful, and all kinds of retro, but there's one minor difference that sets it apart from most other Pong games, and it should become immediately apparent the second you start to play.
Hope you enjoy it!

skape(Posted 2014) [#10]
Cool idea / twist! Interesting visuals as well. A bit hard, but that's probably just me. Nice one!

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#11]
Keep up the good work Jay(Thanks for the newsletter too!). ;)

Oddball(Posted 2014) [#12]
James, when are you gonna let me persuade you to come to the monthly indie dev meet up in manchester? You'd fit in great and the stuff you'd bring to show each month would go down a storm with the regulars.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#13]
You'll have to wait until I'm fully recovered, fit to move decent distances, and capable of dealing with so much noise!!
I used to be a bit of a recluse, but at least I previously got out to work every day of the week, and managed to get along with people.
Ever since early 2012's incident I've been more shut-in than ever, and the lack of social interaction isn't really helping all that much...
Couple that with my still-off-balance motion skills, and my inability to move far without vomiting, and it's not really a great recipe for getting out and about!
I'm slowly getting back to normality, but it's taking a heck of a long time.. Nearly 2 years on, and I'm still mostly-broken! Could be worse... Could be a LOT worse... But as AGameAWeek-Guy I'm used to a slightly faster pace than this!!

*shrugs*
I can still code though, so everything's A-OK!!! ;)

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#14]
This week, we're taking a dip into my childhood, and hours/days/weeks spent playing the classic 8-bit Wonderboy title!

Jan 28th Platdude in The Endless Forest

Imagine the classic title crammed into the timescale of AGameAWeek, and you've pretty much got the general idea, already.
A nice and fun little run'n'jump game. Avoid the dangers, throw some balls, and collect any health along the way.
Nice and simple!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#15]
Feb 4th My Little Rescue Helicopter

A fun, retrotastic little shoot-em-up this week, where you hover about and have to rescue all the little guys who are inexplicably standing around, flailing their arms, and looking like they're all ready to be shot dead!
Lovely stuff!!!

grovey(Posted 2014) [#16]
Very cool game, the ladder is really well done as well as the weight of the helicopter when carrying more passengers. Good job!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#17]
Feb 11th Space Popcorn

Screenshots really don't do this game justice, but luckily, here's a YouTube video of it!!
No explanation required for this one!! Turned out nice again..

Halfdan(Posted 2014) [#18]
Just noticed a series of AGameAWeek's featured in the Ouya store, nice

They play very smooth, are they made with Monkey and the Ouya target?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#19]
Yup. All Monkey.
Mark's done a wonderful job putting Monkey together, and it's been a joy to learn and make use of the tools provided.
Big smiles, here!!

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#20]
Your pace is insane.

Have you found that it gets easier as your framework gets built up?

Popcorn could be expanded with very little effort into something that would make good sales, I would think.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#21]
Indeed.. The more games I do, the better I'm getting at the thing. I'm finding myself able to cram an alarming amount of stuff into a short amount of time, at the minute, and have gotten into some truly terrible coding habits along the way!!

Popcorn could easily be bulked up, but at the same time, overcomplicating it might break what's there.
Over the next few weeks I'm going to try coming up with a nice sequel-ish thing for it. Should be interesting trying to come up with something worthy of the name!!

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#22]
Ask yourself if those are really terrible coding habits. Our needs and business concerns aren't the same as those of Knuth et al. For guys on our level shipping is king.

Maybe you can identify your "bad" practices and figure out ways of compartmentalizing them.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#23]
My "Bad" habits are staying put. They help me code with speed, and my code is generally triple checked to ensure it doesn't do anything silly.
What I call "Bad" are what other people would look at, and run scared at my terrible styles. But then, I don't code for other folk to read my code, and in general whenever I have (very rarely) released my source, it tends to go ignored, since nobody can understand it!
But I care not. My games work, and that's the most important thing.

Feb 18th The Final Warrior

A short and silly game, this week, as the challenge of "Game with ludicrously oversized end-credits" came my way.
So I made a nice and simple little game, with end credits.
Enjoy!!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#24]
Feb 25th Platdude in "A Bit of a Do!"

Platdude's second outing of the year sees him gathering up fallen fruit from his garden, in a manner not entirely unlike Mr Do did so many years ago.
It's like a remake, only crammed into the space of a week!
Woot!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#25]
March 4th Spiky Tower - A SpikeDislike Game

A nice revisit to the world of SpikeDislike, this week, as we tackle the age-old problem of making your way up a series of curiously floating platforms!
Guide the ball up the tower, and as always, Dislike the Spikes!!

A simple, but effective little game with obligatory Combo scoring thrown in for good measure.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#26]
March 11th Disc Blaster (aka Microb3s)

A lovely little retro blaster, this week. If anyone remembers the old Amiga Shareware game Microbes, this is like a simplified version of that.
Peow peow peow!!!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#27]
March 18th Every Good Bird Deserves Flappyness

This week, I took the time to make a lovingly crafted Flappy Bird clone.

..because that's what us indie devs are supposed to do... Right??!

therevills(Posted 2014) [#28]
Every Good Bird Deserves Flappyness

Haha - good job Jay! Love the different modes when you "die"! I was thinking it was a pretty boring clone until I died ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#29]
Yeah ignore that screen shot (sorry james) really IGNORE it, because that game is no ordinary flappy clone, you goto try it, took me well by surprise.

ordigdug(Posted 2014) [#30]
What an awesome twist! :)

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#31]
Oooops.. Did I forget to post last week's game, here?
*tsk* I'm slacking!

March 25th Platdude in "The Spirit Collector"

A haunted mansion, a series of Ghost Traps, and Platdude!
What more could you want from a ghostly game!?

April 1st Boxsplodings

A game all about blowing things up. Blast away, and see how much of the surrounding blobs you can trigger to detonate, too.

Hurray for the crazy world of AGameAWeek, where every week is a brand new adventure.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#32]
April 08th Future Classics - 1986 Edition

What would happen if someone from the past managed to get hold of a list of chart-topping videogame titles from the present day, and attempted to cobble together a collection of games based only on the names of the games!?!?
Find out, in Future Classics - 1986 Edition!!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#33]
April 15th Blockman Worlds

A crazy mismatch of Pacman style, with Puzzle gameplay.
Over 3000 levels to play through, and a whole bunch of worlds to see, there's enough to keep you playing for weeks to come.

Neuro(Posted 2014) [#34]
This is really cool stuff. Makes me want to get my ass in gear and start making games again :).

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#35]
April 26th Platdude in Space

Guide Platdude between the planets of his local star system, as he aims to squish all the evil bad guys, and collect as many space gems as he can!
A simple little highscore-based gravity platformer, in space!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#36]
May 23rd JNKBombers

I hear your cries!
"What happened to AGameAWeek?" you shout.
Don't worry, I didn't end up in hospital with a Brain Tumour or anything! I just opted to take the month of May, to tackle a larger project.

JNKBombers is a remake of the classic Bomberman/DynaBlasters/Master Blaster, arena based, brick blasting, multiplayer bombing gameplay doohickey.

Turned out nice, but I'm still not quite happy with the AI.
Best played in multiplayer!!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#37]
May 26th Platdude in a Tube

Guide Platdude through the rainbow coloured tube, in this fast paced Endless Runner.
Grab stars.
Avoid odd stick things.
Fly, Fly, Fly!!!

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#38]
ah that platdude is there anything he wont do.

Had fun playing this, though did i miss a jump buttons or must i avoid the flashing sticks?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#39]
Nope, they're just there to kill you! :D

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#40]
Awww but they look like ramps.

Here's a an idea introduce platdudes evil twin brother 'platdouche' into your next one... I take cheque and paypal.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#41]
OK, will do. Will 60% share of profits be ok?
((Freeware - Bills) / 100) * 60 ...

OK, Where do I send my bills?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#42]
June 03rd Alien Spindome

A nice space based shooter with rocks and bugs and a colorful gun and a man in a spacesuit and a big flashing button that makes everything go spinning!
Weeee!!!

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#43]
I really like this one, the spin is a nice way to transition between levels nice and smooth to, no platdouche I see or is he a hidden boss?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#44]
Not every AGameAWeek game features Platdude!!!!!!

If it helps, though, you can pretend he's in the spacesuit.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#45]
June 17th Space Clusters DX

Fast paced, chaotic and frantic. This ain't your daddy's Space Shooter!!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#46]
June 24th Platdude in Battling Ostriches

Fast paced, chaotic and frantic. This ain't your daddy's Generic Joust Clone!!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#47]
July 21st Platdude in A Go Kart

After an unscheduled rest-period, I'm back with a simple little Kart based game.
Round up the stars!!!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#48]
July 29th ChuckABall

Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin ( /titlescreen.. ) Chuck the ball, and watch it fall!!!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#49]
August 05th BounceABall

A semi-companion to last week's game, sees you bouncing a ball against a wall.
Because..
.. Why not!

Look out for extra features as you bounce.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#50]
August 12th Neon Bike Championships

A straight-forward, retrotastic, TRON/LightCycles game.
Took a fair bit of effort to keep this up to speed, having to redraw everything each and every frame (Stupid bloomin' Android!) but in the end it came out pretty well.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#51]
August 19th Space Rocket Adventurers

What happens if you reverse the roles in Tower Defence?
Find out, as you guide your crew back to their ship!

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#52]
Oops, have I not been updating?! Sorry..
Ermm..

*fixes that*

August 26th Platdude in Swamp Golf

Platdude decides to go Golfing, but there be crocs out there!!

... But wait.. There's more!!

September 06th Munky Blocks (dx)

Help Munky gather all his blocks, and clump them together in groups of 3 or more.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#53]
O.o http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/17/freeware-garden-platdude-in-a-bit-of-a-spin/

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#54]
\o/yeay\o/