Hexanoid little clip ui..

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Hexanoid little clip ui..

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
Is it to much with the Glow Effect ? I personally like it but after both my Wife and Son commented on it being way to bright I thought I would make a little post and get some additional feedback..

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#2]
Oh if its not there yet just give it a minute, just finished uploading and its still processing I think.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#3]
Looks fine, maybe the D is a little bright compared to the others?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#4]
I think that's just because its a neon light blue, probably wouldn't look so bright if it was green, I might re-colour it.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#5]
Hard to tell given the variation in screens plus however you captured the video.

One suggestion would be to animate the title so the glow pops in and out on the various letters. That way you get a more dynamic effect while preserving readability.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#6]
there is a shimmering effect in play but I guess its hard to see in the video, I might shoot a demo up at some point will be a lot easier to see if you can run it for yourself.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#7]
I can imagine that being a bit harsh on an OLED screen, though I wouldn't have much advice on how to tone it down unless there's 5 layers of glow/additive on top (if there is, use less of those)

The colors and saturation are appropriate for the logostyle and what you're trying to portray. The amount of "bleed-out" from the white is probably what's bugging 'em. If you're using additive blending to achieve this, you might have some success lowering the brightness on those parts, provided relative color richness stays the same, to put more of the original colors in the glow effect vs. that huge white bleed.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#8]
can you explain more about how harsh it might be on an OLED screen please ?

And yeah I have the contrast fixed, just had to recolor the D a little and tone back its base color, for the glow I am additive blending a gaussian blurred, lighter and alpha'd version of the logo over the top, I am then using a little sin cos to turn it a little which makes the glow kinda shimmer, the shimmer is not really the effect I am after but it works for now and does make the logo jump out at you.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#9]
To clarify my earlier remark: an OLED provides infinite contrast ratio pretty much, so having a very bright logo on a dark background with enough bleed feels like you're staring into a light bulb sometimes

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#10]
Ah.

Here is how it looks at the moment, I think it will be fine now, looks really nice on my phone. :)

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#11]
From the first video you posted, I would also say I think the D was too bright.

The last image you posted looks better to me, although I would probably tone down the amount of white in the lettering, and have them with a small tint of the surrounding glow image - that's just personal taste though - but it still looks really good.
I like the jigsaw graphics in the "Quest" section, they look great!

I agree about showing a html5 version, it's always better to see something in action than an image/video of it and even more so when we are looking at something on a computer than is meant to be played on a phone or tablet which can make something look way different.

RENGAC(Posted 2014) [#12]
"E","A" and "D" characters seems to be brighter than the rest. I think that could be cool to make the glow effect to cycle trough brighter and darker phases.

Edit: I see that you have implemented somewhat the shinny effect, but in the video isn't very obvious.