Treasure Traps [W.I.P]

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Treasure Traps [W.I.P]

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#1]

Here's what I have been working on the last few months, it's currently in the crunch stage where it's more or less feature complete, if all goes to plan it should be good to go by mid January. (Android)

So what is it? It's a version of mined-out which is a mine sweeper variant, you move around the stage collecting all the treasure with only a proximity alarm to alert you to hidden traps. You get three lives to complete as many stages as you can.

All stages are randomly generated and you can choose either 7x7, 9x9 or 11x11 in size. Will feature three different worlds but these are just visual they do not effect the game play. Three languages planned at launch, English, German and French.

I have spent most of this week doing and redoing the graphics, I am fairly happy now with the direction they're going in.

Currently I plan to release it free with ad's and only the 7x7 stage, an IAP will remove ads and restrictions, still undecided on this however as I am not sure of the state of Amazon IAP via monkey I think I read that the code floating round no longer works?

On my wish list is social hi-scores via google play services and amazon circle but there does not appear to be any code out there for Monkey at the moment.

A promo video (not final)

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#2]
looks nice :-)

Raul(Posted 2013) [#3]
don't use those arrows for movement. it's to old. remove them.
the rest of the graphics are good.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#4]
@Raul - can swipe the screen if peeps don't want to use the on screen controls.

Raul(Posted 2013) [#5]
if you already have the swipe feature why still using those arrows? I mean they look very old school..

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#6]
I have gone back and forth a few times over on screen controls, swiping became very monotonous on the large 11x11 stages back tracking 20+ steps = 20 swipes and that can quickly become annoying, the average steps needed to complete an 11x11 stages is very easily around 100+, imagine swiping the screen that many times. To address the back tracking and reduce the need to swipe when backtracking I did have the ability for you to click a 'visited' square and your guy would instantly path there but that was useless for phones.

So in the end while on screen controls are old school they are the most practical.

Raul(Posted 2013) [#7]
I understand now. Well, in this case we will wait the release version :D

Good Luck with it!

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#8]
It has a nice flair to it judging from the screens.

I have to agree with Raul though: Arrow controls for movement on a touch device always indicate there is something fundamentally wrong.
If swiping is too tedious you will have to find a way to design around it.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#9]
There are definitely cases in games where what the user needs to input is a direction rather than a destination. A roguelike such as 'Infinite Dungeon' with lots of 'windshield' monsters and the regular use of thrown items is an example.

It seems rather sweeping to declare a category of games obsolete because the interface looks old-fashioned.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#10]
@Shinkiro1 - I did test things out like automatic pathing and teleporting, it worked well on tablet but once you hit smaller screen phones pressing individual squares became tricky due to their sizes, sure I could have had some way to zoom in and out but then you spend just as much time faffing about with zooming and scrolling that that too would likely become annoying and tiresome. I think on screen cursor and swipe are the most practical.... for this game at least.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#11]
Hey all I decided to take a break from coding this evening and instead had a stab at creating the promo video, needs a few tweaks but I think I did a good job,

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#12]
Looks good. Shouldn't there be a way to mark known mines with flags, or did the video just not show that?

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#13]
Yes you can mark suspected squares.

Whiteball(Posted 2014) [#14]
Looks good, nice work!

I don't think there is anything wrong with on screen controls. Some games just work better that way.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#15]
@Whiteball - thanks

If there are any native or fluent German and French speakers here (I know there are) I need translations done in a week or so, €20 up for grabs for each drop me a mail if you're interested.

German translator has been found.

Still looking for French.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#16]
Looks very cool, nice take on Minesweeper - what did you use to create the promo video?

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#17]
@therevills - I uses http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html does the capture and the editing really nice program, the trial is 30 days with no watermarks or limitations, for some odd reason it costs three times as much for the PC version?

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#18]
Hey all still looking for a french translator, a quick €20 up for grabs, mail me or reply here.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#19]
French translation done, thanks RemiD (Blitzbasic forums)

Putting it all together this weekend. Yay another game completed.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#20]
One thing I would do is arrange the arrows in a cross with a square in the center I have had issues in the past when tapping a button caused my thumb to overlap another button and cause problems.

With a cross its much less than with a scrunched controls

therevills(Posted 2014) [#21]
@therevills - I uses http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html does the capture and the editing really nice program, the trial is 30 days with no watermarks or limitations, for some odd reason it costs three times as much for the PC version?

Thanks Supertino - Ouch @ $299 though!

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#22]
@therevills - yeah its a good bloat-free program that does everything most would want but it is pricey, I still have about 2 weeks left on the demo so I am OK for now, if this was $30-50 it would be a no brainier.

@EdzUp - I originally had it so the left and right would move outwards depending on the device type and the available space, ie, no middle gap for phones as space was at a premium but with middle space for tablets, but several issues arose I had to make decisioned around;

1. It was not all that easy to know if a user was on tablet or phone the approximate nature of the returned android DPI, Scale values etc. meant it was not accurate especially when you factor in Phablets so I abandoned any idea of dynamically working out what size device a user had.
2. In my testing I found on tablet I needed to really stretch my thumb across the screen to reach the Left button, removing the gap made it more comfortable to use.
3. I wanted to have the buttons as big as possible (mainly for phone users), with a cross my button size would be half that than if I removed the gap. I purposely included an option to change the size of the buttons for Tablet users.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#23]
Game is released

You can grab the full version (with banner ads from slide me) http://slideme.org/application/treasure-traps
Paid versions on Google play and Amazon.