Where's my Egg!?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Where's my Egg!?

Snader(Posted 2013) [#1]
Currently I am working on my new game: "Where's my Egg!?". In this game you play as a penguin going through a puzzle platformer stage and try to guide your egg around the polar bears, rocks and other hazards to the end of the stage. It is basically a remake of Penguin Land which I played a lot of times when I was 12 years old. A mighty 27 years ago! It will feature original levels and possible a lot of other stuff that isn't in the original 8-bit game.

At the moment I have the basic gameplay in place. A lot of trial and error while programming and surfing this forum alot! I don't use a framework, although I bought two of them since the first version of Monkey. So it is all plain Monkey with the use of some code of this forum like the 'falling snow' and the 'virtual stick'.

For now I am redoing all the sprites in Adobe Fireworks, where I create them into a vector image which I reduce in size when I am done with it.

Top of the first level..

Bottom of the first level..

I'll hope to finish the game next spring and release it on Android, browser, IOS, Windows and the OUYA.

And yes, I do know that penguins don't have bellybuttons and the don't live in the same place as polar bears... :)

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#2]
looks nice, maybe if you plan for spring release go for a bunny and a chocolate egg?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
I second Supertino mate, if your artist can manage it re-skin it for Easter "IF" you can get it out in time, you will see a lot more action in terms of units moving if you have it themed to a seasonal holiday that's on time, your a bit late for the xmas vibe.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#4]
looks great man. +1

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#5]
Looking good and promising.

Besides Playniax, which was the other framework you have invested in?

Snader(Posted 2013) [#6]
I have to correct myself. I bought one framework (playniax) and your book MikeHart... which kinda comes with your framework ;)

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#7]
Ok :-)

Snader(Posted 2014) [#8]
Finally working on this project again:

Small vine video

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#9]
Looks nice, I like it!

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#10]
I love the animation of the penguin!

Snader(Posted 2014) [#11]
Thanks. Today I was trying to animate a seal, but somehow it doesn't really work like the way I want..

Snader(Posted 2014) [#12]
More gameplay elements are in place. I made a basic leveleditor. Nothing fancy. Most of the time I end up editing textfiles with notepad+..

To see progress in the game, you collect present that you bring to Ms. Penguin. In the end you have a nicely decorated penguin house!

Some new screens:

The game needed some purple..

Puzzle solving by moving boulders..

Whoops!

Snader(Posted 2014) [#13]
Still in development.. a little video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YMuwZ5NcrQ

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#14]
Looks good.... like the breaking ice effect and sliding