Tiny Thor

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Tiny Thor

maverick69(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hey,

Please vote for me on Steam Greenlight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617559638

I've created a little game for the 72 hour Ludum Dare Jam. It's done with Monkey:

http://goo.gl/1XF8kf

The full source code is available on github (although the code is full of ugly hacks and copy/paste code due to the time limit).

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
very nice!

my only critique is to maybe combine two of the beginning "tutorial" levels to speed it up a bit.

skape(Posted 2013) [#3]
Fun game, fun use of the theme. I thought that the "you collected all of the gems" and "you can't leave until..." notices were a little intrusive after the first time, but that's a minor niggle. Surprisingly polished and it actually has more than like one level. Well done. :)

Bremer(Posted 2013) [#4]
Only thing I think should be changed is that the hammer should return to Thor after he throws it. It would also make fighting the enemies a lot more fun. As it is now you risk throwing it and it ends up not hitting the enemy but lands on the other side, and it can be tricky to jump over and collect it. In the movies and legends the hammer always returns to Thor, so perhaps it would make sense to do it in this game as well?

Raz(Posted 2013) [#5]
Blimey, that's impressive for 72 hours work! What target did you use for the Windows build? GLFW?

Really like the lighting effect with the torches :)

Will give it a proper go when I get home

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#6]
Fun game, very impressive, esp. considering the dev time taken!

maverick69(Posted 2013) [#7]
Thx 4 feedback.

@Raz: Yes, GLFW was the target for the Windows build.

@Bremer: I planned to include an extra which makes the hammer returns automatically but ran out of time :)

RetroRusty(Posted 2013) [#8]
Has anyone managed to compile the source for this game? I get an error in level.monkey on line 102 that GetTileProperties could not be found? The source uses the fairlight framework from maverick69 so you will need to get that before you can see the error. I've checked in all of the source files in the game and the framework and I can not see GetTileProperties in any of them.

maverick69(Posted 2013) [#9]
Hey, I've just pushed the latest fairlight to bitbucket. If you pull the latest version it should work.

RetroRusty(Posted 2013) [#10]
@maverick69 Thanks for the updated version, it now works fine. Really love the music in this game, what did you use to do it with?

maverick69(Posted 2013) [#11]
The music was done with Logic Pro X and mostly the SID Expansion for Nexus 2.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#12]
This is amazing work in a 72 hour timescale!

Gianmichele(Posted 2014) [#13]
This is really nice, and also super smooth on Glfw mac (something I've really been struggling a bit recently). Out of curiosity is your tilemap scrolling using delta time or fixed rate update?

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#14]
I used fixed rate logic.

Raz(Posted 2014) [#15]
Hey congrats, I see you got 62nd for jam entries :)

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#16]
Thanks. I've decided to work on a post compo version with more features. I'm currently working on the first level boss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJImvpUAY8k

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#17]
boss fight looks cool. cant wait to see what you do with this, have a star :)

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#18]
ios version is ready :-)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tiny-thor/id865168899

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#19]
ios version is ready :-)

Very nice and fun on iPad mini 2!

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#20]
Great work! What items can the Restore Purchases button restore? You use in-game currency which is what I am trying to do as well.

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#21]
Thanks.

@erebel55: There are also some non-consumables item (Remove Ads, Magic Hammer...) that will be restored. I'm currently working on new levels. Will have 10 new levels finished by the end of this week :)

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#22]
I'll spread the word to all my ios friends :)

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#23]
Thanks.

The new levels i'm working on will be huge ;-)

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#24]
Here is a video of one of the new levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMTZVsk6gM

Enjoy ;)

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#25]
They look awesome :)

Neuro(Posted 2014) [#26]
Nice game. But i would speed up Thor's animation a little bit. It looks kinda like he's just gliding around.

BTW, you got a lot of Apps on the App Store, were they all written in monkey also?

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#27]
Hi,

new update is live with new levels and some improvements & minor fixes.

@Neuro: Will try to speed up the animation a little.

Most of the apps are written in Monkey, some are written in Cocos2d-x.

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#28]
Hi!

At the moment we are working on a HUGE (!) new update for Tiny Thor. We overhauled the complete GUI. Here is a gif where you can see the old and the entirely new version:

And here is a video where you can have a look at the new GUI and some new features (Daily reward, the new Shop, Free Gold). [Please note the slight parallax effect in the background :)]

New GUI: Video!

We are also revisiting the whole ingame graphics. Instead of a retro-pixel look we're playing around with a smoother, cartoonish style. Here are some first drafts:

(Current InGame Graphic)

(Draft for new style)

(Draft for new style)

What do you think of it?

Please note the slightly bigger character that will result in a different (but I think better) gameplay. Of course we also need to change the level design to fit the new style. We will also introduce hidden passages and secrets.

It will be a lot of work, so I'd like to know if you think it's worth it or have any other suggestions for us.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#29]
I like it a lot, but I'm not sure the main character goes with the background. The bacl hard edges could maybe be softened a tiny bit?
I loved the new GUI video. Looks awesome

Raul(Posted 2014) [#30]
I like the new graphics. Even though the character color pallet is not the same as the backgrounds I think will be ok if more characters will appear on screen.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#31]
The original pixel art had its own charm which I really liked, I do agree with Ziggy and Raul that the new main character graphics dont really go with the new background.

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#32]
We have revised the character:

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#33]
That's nice! Who's doing the art? Also, it's still open source? Would love to promote in jungleide site if it's still being done with Jungle Ide and/or using FontMachine

Pierrou(Posted 2014) [#34]
Magnificent artwork (and very nice game from what I remember), although I would expect a Tiny Thor to look a bit cuter - IMHO this one's a little bit too tall and skinny.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#35]
Are you talking about Tiny Thor 2? If you like retro graphics, you don't want Tiny Thor
to look like modern comic style, by just updating it on iPad or Android devices, and
loosing the old game style. Or can you switch graphics style in options?

Another, general note:
I don't like the shop system with buying coins and additional functionality. Never paid
something in any game using this system. It is not really transparent what you get for
your money. You get 'coins' that vanish, and later you need more coins!? That's like
throwing money out of the window or burning it.

I prefer to pay a fixed amount for the full version. For example, Babylonian Twins
was like that. It was like 6 or 7 Euro for the full version, and I bought it for WindowsPhone and iPad. No problem.
AFAIK they changed it now to a 'coins' and 'buy items' system, too.
I don't pay anything for games using those system. Feels like rip-off and is not really transparent
what you get for your money. That's a general note, not only about Tiny Thor.

Maybe you want to add that possibility to your shop. Full version for XX Euro, or something like a "unlock all" item
for a one-time fee. But maybe you make more money with the rip-off system, not sure how many people pay
for virtual 'coins' that vanish.

degac(Posted 2014) [#36]
Nice background graphics.
But I will prefer a more 'deformed' player... smaller & larger...

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#37]
As lots of people told us that they prefer the retro style we decided to change the style back to 16-bit-retro graphics ;)

This is our new char:

Here are some new mock ups:

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#38]
I love them. Any ETA on when we'll be able to play something of this new version?

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#39]
Thanks. We'll try to finish it this year but could also be beginning of next year ;)

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#40]
here is a new screenshot and a new enemy 8)

Raul(Posted 2014) [#41]
nice progress here, although as I said earlier, I liked the first version too.

good job anyway

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#42]
yes, i liked the first version too. we've decided to keep tiny thor with the retro style and use the HD graphics probably later for another game :)

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#43]
We just released a big update for Tiny Thor for iOS (Android/WinPhone will follow soon):

http://geni.us/tinythor

Hope you'll like it!

P.S.: It still has the old graphics. We decided to do a "Tiny Thor 2" with the new improved graphics ;)

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#44]
We revised the ingame graphics once again:

maverick69(Posted 2015) [#45]
Here are some new screenshots of the night stages:

maverick69(Posted 2015) [#46]
Here are some of our new NPC's:

k.o.g.(Posted 2015) [#47]
It looks awesome!

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#48]
The art is amazing

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#49]
I really like the style. Looking great!

skape(Posted 2015) [#50]
Looks amazing. The style is retro, but has a flavor of your "HD version." Nice. :)

maverick69(Posted 2016) [#51]
Check out my latest gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D4QqhPR0j4

And please vote for my game on Steam Greenlight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617559638

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#52]
that looks brilliant well done mate..

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#53]
Nicely done. Good job. :)

Capn Lee(Posted 2016) [#54]
i love how Amiga this looks

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#55]
Looks great! Good luck.

Neuro(Posted 2016) [#56]
Because its monkey, i support it :).

Oh, and it looks cool too!

nullterm(Posted 2016) [#57]
Wicked, love the art style! How'd you build the animation and physics?

EdzUp(Posted 2016) [#58]
Absolutely brilliant look to the game reminds me of Ruff n Tumble :)

maverick69(Posted 2016) [#59]
Thanks for your nice words ;)