Ballerburg

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Ballerburg

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#1]
Here is a first screenshot from my new game "Ballerburg - Castle Fight".

Two castles and a hill between them. That's the situation for your king and "Boor" the ugly warrior on the other side of the hill. Delete his castle or he will delete yours. Shot with a cannon, buy balls and gun powder, repair your castle and try to survive.

12 little screenshots from inside game:

It is avaible for Android Smartphones. Ios will come...

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.midimaster.ballerburgfree

Interesting code pieces are:

- Image manipulation with image arrays and WritePixels().
- "On the fly" creation of the hill.
- Particle system for fireworks and falling bricks.
- Async loading of the files
- HttpRequest() based multiplayer option

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
Congrats for the release. Why did you choose a photorealistic look for the hill and the a cartoon look?

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#3]
That's still my biggest problem. I tried it a dozend ways, but I was not able to draw a comic "automatic hill" which looks like a "hill in the front" and not like a "river" that goes into z direction.

The problem is the shadowing of the upper contour. You have to know, that the hill can differ from "nearly plain" to "high mountain". All test hills, which were not higher than the backgrounds "horizont" looked like "rivers" for the testers.

I do also not like the actual state of the hill, but it is a compromise.
If somebody has good ideas, it would be very helpful.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
Ok, that makes sense. I would love to have a play with the hill graphics. If you want, contact me under

contact (a t) michaelhartlef (d ot) de

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#5]
The hill is made from a texture, from where i copy parts into to background image. during the game I only use the background image.

You can simulate this by using a parabel function get x/y pairs on the hills shape

this is the texture:

Method BergMalen:Void()
		Local Zufall%
		PushMatrix
			SetColor 255,255,255
			SetMatrix 1,0,0,1,0,0
			For Local j%= 0 To DeviceWidth()-5 Step 5
				Local x#=j
				x=Int(x/ScaleX/4)	
				Zufall=(TiefenFeld[x]+200)*ScaleY
				DrawImageRect Berg,j,DeviceHeight()-Zufall,j,DeviceHeight()-Zufall,5,Zufall
			Next