menu mockup...

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/menu mockup...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]

not sure I like it myself, thought I would get a second opinion, my main concern is that any interactive UI elements might be hard to click on given their slanted nature.

looking at it on my phone tho it does not look to bad, but might really suck on smaller screens.

Raz(Posted 2013) [#2]
Personally I think the aesthetics outweigh the usability quite a lot here. I guess it's very difficult to say unless you're actually using it though.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
I don't like it - too slanty. I appreciate the fact that this isn't very constructive.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#4]
Yeah I think I agree Raz, trouble is I like the aesthetics a lot, what I need to do is figure out a way to make it functional.

I wont be using it as is, because your right functionality as it is would suck balls. it would be fine on a PC but on mobile it would bite big time.

So anyone got any ideas on how I could keep the general theme, and aesthetics but change the functionality ?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#5]
don't make instruction hard to read. use a easy-to-read font.
also, the colors are competing with the text. keep it easy to read and make the words the most important thing on the page.

if your game uses glow/wire effects, try to keep with that theme instead of introducing a new one.
(my 2-cents)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#6]
yeah that first design really fits with the game art, the second one not so much, needs a lot more work by the looks of it.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#7]
Why is half of the bottom screen left blank?
On the other hand your text is crammed in the upper left corner ...

Place elements so they are aligned to each other (either centered, left or right aligned). An easy way to do this is to use a grid and guides in Photoshop.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#8]
I'd say give the element borders a color other than black to match the background's usage of color. The higher saturations are fine for sticking out but the black makes it look like a toy block trapped in a cage or something

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#9]
Don't see what the problem is to be honest.

Who's going to hate a game because three lines on a help screen are in a colour they don't like?

Actually I'm beginning to doubt the whole concept of help screens anyway.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]
For anyone following this post, the image in the OP is in my drop box folder which I am working on live so it is changing a lot, some of the above comments now relate to an image that no longer exists, just thought I would throw that out there to save any confusion..

@those above, thanks for the feedback, I'm narrowing down the look now and think I have a good enough solid concept that should be fully functional and user friendly.

any additional feedback is of course always welcome.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#11]
The latest one looks a lot more like the game itself :) I really like how you made everything have the 6-sided look! Makes it pop a LOT better with this version.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#12]
looks much better. keep going!