Unfed And Undead - Zombie top down shooter

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Unfed And Undead - Zombie top down shooter

grovey(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi all

Well I figured I would start a project thread for my unnamed Zombie shooter here to track the progress so others here can see, and play-test some demo's of it too.

It will be an arcade type shooter, defeating waves of zombies. I may introduce some more game mechanics as I progress, but it will be a simple shooter at it's core.

To start, I created a prototype to test bullet trails and I like the way it looks so I will be continuing now on some other prototypes before I start officially. I will keep this thread up to date with progress as I plan to work on this a lot until it is completed.

Here is a screenshot

Raul(Posted 2013) [#2]
very nice effect of the rails.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2013) [#3]
Yeah, nice weapon effect.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#4]
Any chance of a summary of the game?
Is it a straight shooter, survival horror, adventure, level based etc?

grovey(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks guys

Just an arcade shooter, defeating waves of zombies. I may introduce some more game mechanics as I progress, but it will be a simple shooter at it's core.

I have now updated the main post about the type of game it will be as well, thanks.

grovey(Posted 2013) [#6]
I have made good progress the last few days having officialy started on the project.

I have received the main artwork from the artist making graphics for me so now I can use these graphics as I build the game.

At the moment I have worked on getting the main player animated, and implemented a weapon object which when run out of ammo will reload automatically. Only once the weapon is reloaded can it be fired again.

Tomorrow I will hopefully start adding zombie(s) into the mix and make sure my collision detection is working correctly.

If I can make good enough progress this week I will get some more screenshots up

grovey(Posted 2013) [#7]
Actually, what is the point of an update without some screenshots.

The first screenshot shows the locations I will use to test for collisions (rectangles, but I will be using circle-circle collision detection). I am just rendering them here to make sure the projectile locations are in the correct place.

The second screenshot shows the reload timer representing by a progress bar. The "Reloading" is a just a placeholder for now. I will not be using DrawText in the final product.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#8]
Nice work grovey! I'm interested to see where this ends up. Keep it up! :)

grovey(Posted 2013) [#9]
Thanks computercoder

Another update.

Zombies will now spawn and track the player. Their walk animation is working now, and so is the collision detection, so you can shoot them!

I just need to now give the zombies health, and use their death animation when their health is depleted.

I ran a quick test with loads of zombies on the screen and I experienced no slow down, so I am quite happy with that!

Some screenshots.

Snader(Posted 2013) [#10]
Keep up the nice work, grovey!

grovey(Posted 2013) [#11]
Thanks Snader

Hopefully I will get to posting some more updates this weekend. I am trying to work on this at least a few hours a day.

grovey(Posted 2013) [#12]
Hi all,

An update :)

I am going to title the game "Unfed And Undead"

I have got a bunch done recently, including as pictured, remnants of zombies.

- Zombies will track the player and wander about. (Random movement seems better and works better than just plain seeking the player)
- The blood streak is the streak of the bullet, I will need to play around with the effect some more, but it works.
- Zombies can now die (obviously) and they have a death animation now too.
- The hero can also die along with animation.
- I have built an asset manager which is working well, along with better timing code for animations. I hope to get a lot more done soon.
- Pickups are now supported too as pictured, adding more pickups will be a snap.

Samah(Posted 2013) [#13]
Looks a bit like this game I did for the codemonkeys.com 150-line game competition using BlitzMax. For which I won first place. ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#14]
Oh noes he's stealing your thoughts.... get him quick!:)

grovey(Posted 2013) [#15]
@Samah
That looks cool! Did you ever do more with it? Congrats on winning too!

@Taiphoz
I am hiding my mind reader now! hehe

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#16]
I sell tin foil hats for just £1.99

Samah(Posted 2013) [#17]
@grovey: Did you ever do more with it?

I started rewriting it using LÖVE http://www.love2d.org
I even got the flashlight to do proper collision with walls using a pixel shader.