concept tile.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/concept tile.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]

Edit added some more tile tests which I hope should give a better feel for the over all art style I might use.

wondering what peeps think of this first pass on a tile, something feels off about it for me but I cant put my finger on what it is, possible the colour of the base tile clashing with the berry not sure tho.

need the feedbacks pls :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#2]
oh should say the two smallest tiles are probably going to be the game size's.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#3]
looks delectable, but a tile for what now? need some context.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
I think it's over-detailed. You've drawn all that detail in the leaves etc, and you can't see any of it in the tiles you're actually going to use.

Also, you don't want 3 strawberries in one tile with the 'main' one off-centre. Just one will do.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#5]
I like where you are headed. I think the one farthest back looks bigger, but I think it is an optical illusion. Is this for a match 3? If so I think it is a good concept to have 3 and show a match some way if you can.

CGV(Posted 2013) [#6]
I think the strawberries are just too skinny. The top two strawberries should basically be one strawberry.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#7]
CGV : you can blame my shitty strawberry plant thats sitting on my window cill lol, but yeah now that you mention it I can see exactly what your talking about, I might have another go at it with a fatter strawberry in mind.

Gfk : I put three on to fill the tile out, but if I draw a fatter berry then I probably wont need more than one per tile.

Why : In short yeah, match 3 with gravity, I was planning to simply port my older Match 3 games but after giving it some thought I actually came up with what I think might be an original game mechanic in the genre so going to roll with a totally new game, new art, and new theme, as you can see it will be fruit, although with the gravity twist, I might turn the theme into stars , moons and planets, still early days yet.

John McCubbin(Posted 2013) [#8]
Looking good although I have seen a match 3 game using gravity before, or at least using box 2d and physics.

The orange looks good, even the lifelike bumhole :P

skape(Posted 2013) [#9]
The strawberry looks a bit strange shape-wise and the highlight on the orange specifically looks off. (To strong or large maybe? Add similar highlighting to the other fruit?) I also agree with Gfk on the strawberry detail, it is a bit more detailed (almost a different style) than the other two.

Looks pretty nice at this point though.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]
John, when I said gravity I was not talking about it in the way your thinking, not keen on going into more detail on here but if your interested I will let you know on over a PM, its nothing amazing just not something I have seen done in any other match 3, at least I HOPE! its not been done.

Unlikely, yeah the Strawberry was the first one, I changed highlights for the Orange and Banana, just need to retouch the berry to make it look the same, the highlight itself only looks a little odd on the larger tile but thats not the one that will be used, when I draw tiles I draw typically draw them around 512*512 or 256*256 and then scale them down to the game size I find I can get more detail and a nicer look that way.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#11]
my first thought is the buttons are too dark on the edges.

skape(Posted 2013) [#12]
Agreed, the edges seem a little dark now. :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#13]
yeah the image is updating as I work and play around with it, thanks to dropbox, just trying out different tile backgrounds to check contrast.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#14]
For me the highlight seems a bit strong, especially on the orange.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#15]
Are those bananas on the strawberry? ;)

Haha, just kidding. I like that!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#16]
I need to add a little shadow to those little strawberry pip things, but had a feeling that the shadow detail would be lost at the smaller size so didnt bother, no harm in throwing some shadows in tho I guess to see how it looks.

On another subject, anyone got any fruit suggestions ? kinda drawing a blank here .

John McCubbin(Posted 2013) [#17]

On another subject, anyone got any fruit suggestions ? kinda drawing a blank here.
Stephen Fry!

Oh those pips on the strawberry are actually seeds :P

As to fruits I would suggest a pear, cherries and some grapes.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#18]
Just want to say that I absolutely LOVE the tiles and your graphics style in general. They way they pop is one of the first things that a player notices and I believe it helps drive downloads.

If I ever finish a game I might just need to pay you to do an icon for me :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#19]
Thanks guys, think I have my groove for this so will probably stop updating the above image and just get on with it, thanks for all your help.

@Why0Why , I have done art for a number of people here and on other communities so any time you need me, just drop me an e-mail.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#20]
"anyone got any fruit suggestions"

Kiwi, watermelon, lemon...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#21]
Oh, didn't have water melon written down, thanks Gerry.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#22]
Damn so you make a fruit match 3? That's what I wanted to do as well. lol

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#23]
Plenty of room for fruit match 3 games mate so don't let me stop you , the more the merrier.

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#24]
Great images. Wish I could draw..

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#25]
A little off topic but kind of on topic I saw a TV ad today (UK ITV2) for Candy Crush Saga?! They must be making bucket loads.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#26]
They do. Actually around 500,000 each day.

skape(Posted 2013) [#27]
Nice grapes. :) I'm still not too hot on the highlighting "glow". It just looks a little much on the grapes for example.