Simple Shooting Game - bit of feedback and help?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Simple Shooting Game - bit of feedback and help?

richb(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi guys, just got Monkey last week and been getting to grips with it and putting together a very simple Game using it. I think it's fun enough to play so if you can want to have a little go of it and give me a bit of feedback i'd appriciate it.

Instructions:

The car moves left and right following the mouse and you shoot using the left mouse key.

You pick up the power ups by making contact with them, if you shoot them it destroys the power up.

If you shoot an enemy car or bullet it destroys them.

The timer is in the top left corner, if it hits zero you lose a life.

http://games.richardbatt.com/html5/ArcadeGame.html

I'd like to get a bit of feedback on what you think and also:

1) What do you think of the control scheme? Does it work or would there be a better control scheme?

2) would it be better if the car moved up and down as well as just across?

3) is it too hard or too easy?

4) would it be better if it was game over when the timer hits zero or is losing a life better?

And some help I could do with is:

1) I can't get the cars to do anything when they collide with each other. I'm using fantomengine and every piece of code i've written has ended up with the cars sort of shaking left and right. Has anyone got any idea of how I can solve this?

2) Is there a way of getting games hosted online to store the High Scores?

3) How do you think I could improve the game?

I'm probably not going to take the game too much further as it was kind of a test to get to grips with Monkey.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#2]
1. Difficult to answer. It's a very common mouse control scheme for this sort of thing. I prefer keys, but that's not really a relevant criticism if the objective is mouse control.

2. It would be a different game if the car moved up. Would it mean the car would be able to turn all the way around? If so that would lead to the enemy movement needing to change. It's difficult to say if that would be better in the end than the more simplistic mechanic you have currently.

3. Too easy for my tastes. I played for five minutes without feeling like I was likely to lose.

4. If I have lives I don't expect something to circumvent the lives count and just end my game. If you re-labelled lives as damage then having a terminal timer would add challenge.

Can't help with the tech questions but on the game overall I'd suggest considering your thematic elements versus your mechanics and think about tying them together a bit more. Right now the game feels a bit odd as I'm presumably driving up the screen but that movement isn't really represented.

The game wanders between Spy Hunter, Galaxians and Missile Command - vertical car combat but with enemies that wander around in front of you and very slow projectiles. That's a mix that could work but maybe you aren't picking the best aspects of those games to put in the pot. For example, one element that felt very absent is the threat of collision with the enemies themselves.

Raz(Posted 2013) [#3]
Hi Rich:

1) As MS says, it's had to say. Personally I would prefer move with the keys and aim/shoot with the mouse.

2) Why not try? It's up to you at the end of the day.

3) Too easy. At no point did I feel overwhelmed.

4) Who knows? Maybe make running out of time cause you to lose a life (and gain some more time)

Set of question 2:

1) Sorry can't help

2) Depends on the target you are aiming for. However yes there is, I can't specify details but I know it's possible because lots of targets have various network functions now.

3) Add variety and improve the better parts and remove the 'not so good' parts. The powerups could do with being a bit clearer too, the colours are a bit... garish.

richb(Posted 2013) [#4]
thanks guys, appriciate that feedback. I'm impressed at how quickly you can get things up and running with monkey. obviously the hardest part is making it work as a fun game!

Raz(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yeah it's good for that :) I really enjoy using Monkey for large(r) projects as well as quick things like the Ludum Dare 48 hour game making competition. If your focus is to make sure it's fun, then you're on to a winner!

Once you find your footing you'll end up being able to use a lot of your code again too.

Aymes(Posted 2013) [#6]
Ah, it's gone, was going to have a go!

good luck richb!