Crypt of the NecroDancer

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Crypt of the NecroDancer

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm using Monkey for my game "Crypt of the NecroDancer". It's a roguelike rhythm game :)

You can have a look at our teaser trailer, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=-MhmdADb2tQ&hd=1

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#2]
Looks good. Great team of music contributors.

I assume you've got some non-Monkey sound lib underneath it for a rhythm game?

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#3]
Just using OpenAL/Monkey with a few hacks, so far! But we might go to something fully custom in the future, yes.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#4]
Really impressed, sounds and looks monkeytastic™

Oddball(Posted 2013) [#5]
I've been following the development of this for a while. Had no idea it was made in monkey. That reminds me I should go post it on TIGTumblr before Dom2D beats me to it.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#6]
On the dayz people give posts up votes by giving them beans , since this is monkey , you sir can have a banana :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#7]
This is a fantastic game!

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#8]
Looks and sounds great!

therevills(Posted 2013) [#9]
Looks good... but I hope whilst playing the camera doesn't jump around that much in the actual game, it was actually hurting my eyes watching the video.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#10]
I had seen this before and didn't realize it was made with Monkey. I agree with Steve, it literally hurt my head the way the camera jumped around and I have never had that problem before with a game. Even games that make people motion sick.

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#11]
Thanks for the feedback, all!

I've had a number of people complain about the camera in the video. Since then I have smoothed the motion slightly, but I honestly think that the problem is the zoomed-in nature of the video. The gameplay screen is larger than is shown in the video, so the motion is not as proportionally large as it seems. No one who has played the game has complained about the camera, so fingers crossed that that's the issue! Otherwise I guess I'll tweak it once we get some public builds out there, if it still bothers folks.

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#12]
haha I really like this! I don't mind the bouncy camera, its slightly dizzying but boing boing chop chop boing boing slash!

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#13]
Ryan, is there a lot of screenshake when you attack? That I found more unsettling than the camera moving each square with the character. I know screenshake is cool, but perhaps it should be saved for big special attacks or is it needed for an attack when the character doesn't move to still give the impression of a beat going on?

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#14]
Yes, definitely a lot of screen shake when attacking or getting hit. I tried it without and it doesn't feel nearly as satisfying, to me. Might just be a personal preference. I'll have to get feedback from a broad group of testers and see what the consensus is, I guess!

therevills(Posted 2013) [#15]
Or add it as an option where you can select the amount of shake (ie off, low, med, high).

impixi(Posted 2013) [#16]
Impressive and interesting!

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#17]
therevills: Good idea! I'll do that.

impixi: Thank you!

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#18]
just saw it featured on RPS http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/20/crypt-of-the-necrodancer-combines-ddr-roguelikes/

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#19]
Yeah! Pretty awesome :)

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#20]
Just wanted to let you all know that NecroDancer is coming to Steam! We announced it in our new trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CENF14Iloxw

Is this the first Monkey game on Steam?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#21]
Congrats. Can't say I'm surprised it got in considering the theme and connected people involved.

You're the first confirmed Monkey game on Steam I'm aware of. There's always the possibility of a secretive dev having one on there, I guess.

Snader(Posted 2013) [#22]
Looking great! Love the music! But why is the little fellow constantly jumping instead of walking or running?

therevills(Posted 2013) [#23]
Well done :)

Are you integrating your game with Steam? (i.e. Achievements etc)

Raz(Posted 2013) [#24]
Hey congratulations : On Giantbomb no less! :)

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/crypt-of-the-necrodancer-isn-t-your-average-roguel/2300-7896/

Redbeer(Posted 2013) [#25]
This game looks great and seems to have gotten some well deserved press.
Try and plug Monkey when you can so the community can grow and the software can grow with it.
I'll definitely make a purchase when it's officially out and on Steam.
I'm pretty sure my daughter will love this one and we may have to finagle setting up the dance pad just for the occasion. :D

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#26]
snader: It's a woman, and she's sort of hopping

therevills: Yes, definitely integrating with Steam and including Achievements

Raz and Redbeer: Thanks! We got a TON of attention and coverage at PAX. Many people asked me what I used to create the game and I tried to spread the word about Monkey as best I could!

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#27]
The cinematic trailer is amazing.
Also I applaud you guys for doing something undordinary and risky.
Well done :)

Redbeer(Posted 2013) [#28]
I plugged the game to my 24 students today in my computer programming class as they were working on their lesson to learn about operators. Hopefully that will help with at least a little word of mouth for you, as well as some inspiration for them to keep working at programming and monkey now that they can see what can be done with it.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#29]
@Redbeer:

I recall being in programming class in high school when we were all working on our final project for the year. It had to crawl through a 2-D matrix (logically) and was to be a TEXT based adventure game. (this was in 1991-1992)

We had the TRS-80s and everyone used those except a couple of us. We were priviledged to use the 386 PCs. Being me, and never following the status-quo... I decided to make mine make use of the joystick, have a graphical display - in color with enemies collisions,etc. and play music / sound effects. We used GW-BASIC on the 386 machines and I don't recall what the TRS-80s had. I finished mine ahead of schedule and was playing it in class when I notice my fellow classmates huddled in around me glued to it as I played on.

I recall the teacher coming over to say that I was using the same programming language as they all were and now everyone knows what it is capable of. :) My classmates were there-after intrigued by programming more, and I was forever looked at differently. Good times.

Your encouragement of your students reminded me of that!

@SlopeOak:

GREAT WORK! Looks like it will be a very fun game. I love the retro look mixed with the new high quality audio :) I'll be looking for this game on the market!

Redbeer(Posted 2013) [#30]
@computercoder
TRS-80 is how I first learned to program.
A friend of mine had one when I was about 12 years old (1984) and I taught myself to program some simple games in BASIC using the manual that came with it.
When I went back to school that year, 8th grade, we had the same machines at school and I knew more than the teacher did. I spent the rest of the semester showing all my friends how to make their programs work.
I've been trying to find ways to bottle that sense of wonder I had just getting a box to show up on screen, but it's more difficult nowadays when kids are bombarded with graphics and media.
Although, it does still work if you spice it up a bit and have nice full games like this to use as an exemplar and Monkey to make it so easy to get something on screen fast.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#31]
Yeah in 1984, I was sporting the Commodore VIC 20 at the ripe age of 8! I remember the days typing all that code from the manual and from magazines.

You are completely right about how hard it is to motivate the youth today with programming like that. There is too much expected due to the high quality of games made now that make youth not even flinch an eye towards the simple, yet oh so essential aspects that make it all possible!

programmer(Posted 2013) [#32]
@SlopeOak, what engine are you using? Did you make your own? Or used a open-source one?

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#33]
? I'm using Monkey!

Beyond that, it's just my own code.

RENGAC(Posted 2013) [#34]
Impressive! Really appealing game!

RENGAC(Posted 2014) [#35]
Congrats!
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/209221/Road_to_the_IGF_Brace_Yourself_Games_Crypt_of_the_NecroDancer.php

SlopeOak(Posted 2014) [#36]
Thanks! Things are going well :) We will also be in New York in February for IndieCade East: http://www.indiecade.com/east/nightgames/

simonh(Posted 2014) [#37]
Thanks for helping to spread the word about Monkey, SlopeOak! We've had quite a few extra sign-ups a result of the Gamasutra article.

SlopeOak(Posted 2014) [#38]
Happy to help! When you add a DirectX target I will be singing Monkey X's praises even more ;)

Winterstein(Posted 2014) [#39]
@SlopeOak
Hello Ryan,

I have been following the development of your game for quite a while now. Congrats, it looks well polished and is surely a labour of love! I just heared that it will be released on Steam in July. How the hell did you manage to get on Steam?

I have also released a Monkey-made game (check the forum topic here: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=8072 ) and would love to see it on Steam some day. Any hints? =)

SlopeOak(Posted 2014) [#40]
Hi Winterstein!

Well, there are a lot of ways to get on Steam... you can get on if you are well known enough from previous games, or you can get on by winning contests (we were nominated for the IGF which gets you published on Steam), or you can go through Greenlight.

I think the key is creating something innovative so that your game stands out and gets people talking. Your game appears to be extremely well made, but the gameplay itself seems mostly Mario-like or Commander Keen-like perhaps. I imagine it's very fun to play, but what is it about the game that is innovative and would get people talking? It's that spark of innovation that helps you get nominated for festivals, or helps get people excited about your Greenlight campaign.

Hope this helps!

Winterstein(Posted 2014) [#41]
Hey SlopeOak,

thanks for the quick reply. I did not know that being nominated for the IGF also gets you published on Steam. Thanks for that information! It's true what you say. Creating something "new" is of course great to get attention. On the other hand there seem to be many "quite normal" games on Steam nowadays. I think I'll give it a try ;)
Do you plan to release on other platforms than windows? I want to bring BK2 to as many platforms as possible and will start working on a 3DS target soon (as soon as I get the devkits from nintendo). Maybe we can talk a bit about technology every now and then. Feel free to add me on Skype (Eiswuxe) or follow me on Twitter @Eiswuxe.

Have a nice day!

SlopeOak(Posted 2014) [#42]
Thanks, Winterstein! Not sure yet if we'll release on other platforms. Even with Monkey's cross platform capabilities there are a lot of headaches involved. It depends on how well the game sells, if it'll be worth the effort!

Raz(Posted 2014) [#43]
Giantbomb Quicklook, nice one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpbm4QrBwR8

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#44]
Yes I've seen this all over gaming sites since it's release a few days ago, it's pay day so might even pick it up.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#45]
it's pay day so might even pick it up.

I recommend it! I don't normally like RogueLike games or Rhythm games but this is really good!

Samah(Posted 2014) [#46]
Most of my time at the moment is spent coding the GLFW3 target, and playing this. Please oh please build it for iOS or Android so I can play it on the bus! XD

RetroRusty(Posted 2014) [#47]
From talking with Ryan, he said that he has heavily hacked Monkey to use DirectX and FMOD for this game. My questions is, without those hacks, would this game still of been possible to do?

Samah(Posted 2014) [#48]
From talking with Ryan, he said that he has heavily hacked Monkey to use DirectX and FMOD for this game.

Awww.... :(
Wanna fork Monkey on Github and share your changes? :D <3

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#49]
Maybe when things settle down he will share. I think he has stated he would in the past. I am sure things are crazy for him right now. I hope so!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#50]
I am very interested in what he felt he needed to change and why it was not possible without the change.

Also if the changes are solid and improvements then offering those changes up to the main monkey repository for inclusion might be an idea, surely if their good then mark will include them ? isn't that the point of the repo.

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#51]
More robust sound support for sure.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#52]
any specifics tho ?

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#53]
I finally purchased this today. What a great game! Very addicting and extremely original. Great work!

Neuro(Posted 2014) [#54]
Tis on sale today 33% off on Steam for anyone interested. Because it was in Monkey, it was instabuy for me :).

Soap(Posted 2015) [#55]
It's coming to PS4 and Vita now:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/10/crypt-of-the-necrodancer-coming-to-ps4-ps-vita/

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#56]
That is awesome news!!!!! But how did he port all of that to PS4/Vita?? Its still supported by monkey-x??

Soap(Posted 2015) [#57]
He likely wrote his own targets (he had already modified monkey itself dramatically since a long time ago) or had paid someone to consult to do it. Doing either of these is not unreasonable.

Monkey supported PSM or PlayStation Mobile for Vita a while ago, but this service is shutting down. Presumably the only way to target Vita now is with a "native" build for it, which as a dev if you can do that it would be a lot better. Monkey has never had PS4 support.

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#58]
Ok, according the dev(s) they worked with a company called Blitworks to do the port. So yeah, probably was a complete re-write considering thats what Blitworks specializes in. Most likely in MonoGame.

Would have been so cool had they found a way to directly export from Monkey-X to Vita, and PS4 tho :-D.

Soap(Posted 2015) [#59]
Making a monkey target would be way more efficient than just porting the game code imo. I'll ask Blitworks about it.

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#60]
Any news from them? I'm actually quite interested in this.

Soap(Posted 2015) [#61]
No reply yet.

Soap(Posted 2015) [#62]
Got into contact. Waiting on info.