Xeno Farmer!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Xeno Farmer!

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi all, I've finished my May #onegameamonth and here it is! Enjoy :-)

http://www.kongregate.com/games/GreyAlien/xeno-farmer

Made in Monkey of course!

[EDIT] Created Video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98pVpeqgKnM&feature=youtu.be

ordigdug(Posted 2013) [#2]
Nice!

Although... I'm stuck on Level 4 "Make beasts next to the strange creatures"???

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#3]
You have to match 3 worms to make a beast...

CGV(Posted 2013) [#4]
Wow, it seems like a complex game logic wise. I'm impressed you did this in one month. Nice!

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#5]
I did it in two days actually. I have two main projects and this was just a fun minigame.

semar(Posted 2013) [#6]
Hi Grey,
how did you make the title screen text "Xeno Farmer" ? Do you use a specific software to make such a glowing text ?

By the way, nice graphic.

Sergio.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#7]
Do you use a specific software to make such a glowing text ?

You can do a similar effect using Gimp's drop shadow, just set the offsets to zero and change the colour.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#8]
This is fun... though it seems I lost all my Triple town skills since I stopped playing!

Edit: Darn - seems I finished it! The last level was quite hard , although I suspect it would get much easier with practice.

I would suggest you keep working on this: the mechanism is like Triple Town but the puzzle element makes it different.

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#9]
@semar: I use Photoshop. Bought a copy a few years back. Used to use gimp.

Yep the last level is hard! Well done for beating it. Seems like people want me to make more levels which is a good sign. Thanks for playing.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#10]
Nicely done. Last level was hard indeed :)

You came up with this concept yourself, or there are other games with similar mechanics?

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#11]
Triple Town has the mechanic of place 3 of same next to each other to make a bigger thing, but I added Hexes and some matches changed tiles underneath and also matching next to things to destroy them.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#12]
I made 9 top-level castles in Triple Town (without buying any items) - I *felt* I should be able to do your last level with hands tied behind my back!

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#13]
Added a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98pVpeqgKnM&feature=youtu.be

C10B(Posted 2013) [#14]
I just don't get it. I randomly click tiles and random things happen. Weird.

sionco(Posted 2013) [#15]
It took me a while to understand what I was meant to be doing, but it's pretty addictive, could be a cool mobile game with more levels.
Also, thing a bigger version would require would be a retry button, so the person doesn't have to do all the easy levels again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#16]
Thanks for playing.

I deliberately didn't add detailed instructions as I wanted people to play it and figure out what to do. Most people manage to. It's part of the fun of "discovery". If I was to sell it commercially, perhaps I'd add a tutorial.

Yeah I think it could be a fun mobile game. There is a restart level option on the in-game menu, but yeah a retry level on the game over screen would also be sensible.