Mark the Penguin (Artist in need of a Coder!)

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Mark the Penguin (Artist in need of a Coder!)

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#1]
It's very ambitious and tedious work for me to have to make both the artwork and the code for this game, so I was hoping to find someone to do the coding for me. Please note you will get paid 50% of the profits I earn from this game if you write at least 75% of the code (I intend sell it on Google Play).

Here's the title sceen:

Cheers.
TKG

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#2]
were going to need a lot more detail before we can consider a project , whats its scope , whats the end goal, how long it might take, how many levels, all sorts of valuable information.

if your game idea is easy enough some of the faster programmers could have the bulk of it done really quickly. while the slower programmers might take longer over it, is there a time scale ?

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#3]
21 levels - Seven worlds each with three levels.

The goal - Mark and his buddies Albird and Methuselah were left behind by his penguin colony mysteriously overnight. Your job it to reunite with your penguin colony

There is no time scale, this may take as long as the project needs to get done.

Each world has a boss battle.

The game is meant to be a platformer, with every level involving dry land and underwater platforms.

Each level should take a minute or two to beat (assuming the player doesn't get a game over)

The player has 3 lives and one "continue". Collecting 100 fish can increase lives and health while completing a level with 40 or more fish eaten will result in an extra continue.

Any more questions I'll be more than happy toi answer :D

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#4]
Are you going to do the level design? I can build the level designer...

Lets see some tiles,icons,objects graphics
What abilities does Mark have?

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#5]
Sure I could do that. Having a level designer could save me some serious time. I'll upload and share the sprites as soon as they look presentable.

Mark doesn't really have any abilities other than run and swim. But during boss battles he has a unique ability.

i.e. the leopard seal boss slaps circus balls with his tail to hit mark with them. and if mark jumps on top of them he can then hurl them back at the seal.

Edit: Here's some sprites for mark, though I'm not if I can use this I'll have to get permission from sega somehow considering these are edited "Sonic the Hedgehog" sprites...

I'm waiting for their reply if not I have other sprites I'm working on to replace those.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#6]
I think you will probably need to redo those sprites from scratch I personally would not simply re-colour an existing sprite from a known game, nothing against using it as a template or source material that you can then base your own version off of, but deff do not just recolour the pixels.

Do you have any original art ?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#7]
Edit: Here's some sprites for mark, though I'm not if I can use this I'll have to get permission from sega somehow considering these are edited "Sonic the Hedgehog" sprites... ...I'm waiting for their reply if not I have other sprites I'm working on to replace those.
They won't give you permission. Not in a million years. I wouldn't be surprised if the reply you get comes straight from their lawyer, as you should not even be using these as placeholders. All you've achieved by contacting them, is draw attention to the fact that you're doing it and I can't see them being very helpful.

That aside, if you're the 'artist', why are you stealing Sega's artwork anyway? The title screen in the first post is pretty awful so if that's as good as it gets, then I'd seriously rethink your position in all of this.

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#8]
It's not stealing if I'm not using them ;P

They won't give you permission. Not in a million years.

I figured as much. I just thought it was worth a shot.

I'll just use my own sprites, like what I did for the title screen...

Here's my original artwork for Mark:

More on the way...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#9]
I was initially interested, but to be honest I really need to focus on my own thing, if you perhaps perfect your art and post more of it, possibly mock up some levels ti give the programmers a better idea of what their getting into it might spur on more interest..

I think we really need a separate forum for this sort of stuff tho.