Terminal 2, just some new art.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Terminal 2, just some new art.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
I a had been working on keeping my art to a minimum, keeping all levels and stage aliens in a single sheet, but I have changed my mind on that and am now keeping all stage specific art in a stage specific sheet, which gives me a lot more room to play with which means room for more alien designs.

here is a peek at the stage 1 aliens, each stage will have 51 unique aliens , 3-5 sub boss sized ships, and an end of stage boss, not all done with that tho.

Ignore the fat guy in the web cam, I just forgot it was on hence the dull looking emotionless expression that would scare little kids.

semar(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hi Taiphoz,
cool effects ! Do you use a framework for the particle system, and if this is the case, which one ?

Ignore the fat guy in the web cam, I just forgot it was on hence the dull looking emotionless expression that would scare little kids.
LOL !

regards,
Sergio.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
No framework for particle's just some of my own code, I have a particle class in which I can set some basic parameters like wind,gravity,friction.

Most of my little sparks are static and pretty immediate so I didn't need to write an Emitter class, but it's something that's on my todo list as I have an idea for a cascading explosion effect kinda like a firework with more than one bang, and I cant do that without writing some emitter code.

Are you having problems with particles in your own work ? or were you just curious.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
Just an observation, I think it would look loads better when the bullets hit enemies if the 'sparks' went upwards instead of down.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]

So my plan is to follow the two left examples, would I be right in saying your suggesting B in the above diagram for when a player bullet hits an alien rather than A ?

I felt it made more sense that when a bullet struck something and shattered that the fragments would blow away from the impact location and impact object, but im not really against useing method B as its what I do in that little Bit Invader game I did.

would love to know or hear any thoughts behind your opinion it might help me settle on the best option.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
Conservation of momentum means the particles should go broadly the same direction as the bullet was going. You might have a few deflecting slightly, but mostly I'd go with option B.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#7]
That would only happen if the object was destroyed bullets hitting a wall for example will bounce back because as you say all that kinetic energy has to go somewhere , I guess I cod do both a and b , when you shoot something with more life than the bullets damage then it bounces back but if the bullet is a killing shot then let the shards go up.