WireFred

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/WireFred

Fred(Posted 2013) [#1]
If you played with computer in the previous century and like wireframe 3D, you might like this:
WireFred on Ludoid.fr

Very early prototype, please give feedbacks.

Fred(Posted 2013) [#2]
Any feedbacks from here ?

I guess I will need to give some hints as the virtual guide is not yet there.

Even in its early state, you can find this kind of thing:

Raz(Posted 2013) [#3]
Fred that's amazing :D It's like finding your way around Linux for the first time all over again :)

I've got nothing constructive to say other than I really really like the visual style of the wireframe, especially the curved line effect.

Im at work at the moment but will give it a proper look at home

degac(Posted 2013) [#4]
HAHAHAH ! Coool!

I spent some minutes looking for the dos/text command! I was give up when I have a little 'help'.... :P
And then it's a discovery !

Great, funny, intelligent!

This is (for me) TRON 2.0

(still looking to grant write right access ahahahha)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#5]
i did play this, but my attention span is terrible. i found it difficult to figure out what to do (although i did guess the password first try). my advice is to always make the beginning part easy enough to get the "idea", then make other parts difficult.

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#6]
Very interesting indeed :D

Managed to have a look around a tank window. I will have another play when I have more time!

Fred(Posted 2013) [#7]
Thank you ! Yes it's not easy yet but I want to know how far I can go.

@Raz, I believe it's closer to CP/M or MSDos (from where I come) but seen from the 21st century with tenderness

@degac, TRON ? Never heard about that ;)

@Adam, you are obviously right, but I've been making game for almost 30 years and my last game is a FaceBook game (Lucky Pirate done with Monkey too), so I want this one very special, like I'm doing it for myself only. Actually, it is hard to begin but this is the easy part :) But to tell you the truth, when the WirePet/Assistant/VirtualBuddy/? will be integrated things will become clearer and easier. Something will be there to guide you. The tron(?)/hacker/programer feeling is the main mood I want to keep, so programers must enjoy it from its root.

@Skn3 a Tank window means you are on the right way ! Patrolers keep the code.

There are some hints in the features list.

Raz(Posted 2013) [#8]
I've been doing some more digging and I've managed to connect to a memory address. Am I able to destroy the bug/patrol generators?

I love the twinsen model :) Did you do some clever exporting from LBA, or did you remodel yourself?

I've not been able to implement a communication tower :/

Fred(Posted 2013) [#9]
The logic is that you can send probes vehicles (agents) in a readable memory cell you are connected to, but you can't modify the cell content until write rights are enabled.
The system sends bugs and patrolers in the same way, all agents are destroyable because they don't really belong to the cell. But the generators are scenery data like other cube data so they can't be destroyed with missiles (from your vehicle neither from patrolers).
The write password is held by patrolers. Once you use 'memory setreadwrite password', then everything is destroyable. And you have to quickly go back to the cell with "explore vehicle_name" to destroy the remainings patrolers and generators, because they are destroying everything even if you are not watching to the cell. (you can leave a 'camera' or a 'map' on the cell to keep watching what's happening inside). To implement the com_tower you need to use the 3D model drag and drop through windows...
Another way to get rid of generators is to use the VisualCell editor, once you have the write rights, you can directly edit the cell, removing generators by deleting them (select model then delete button) or drag them out of the window. Then the cell is yours, you can start to build your own place (custom cells can be saved) (This editor is very cheap yet, all more advanced games/levels/cells logic will be buildable with it)

Twinsen :) I did a generic converter, so I can convert all models and animations from LBA. Actually the 3D engine and the 3D modeler are very close to those from LBA.

skid(Posted 2013) [#10]
case sensitif -> case sensitive

I found the java plugin too scary to advance further.

Fred(Posted 2013) [#11]
Thank you skid, it's corrected.

The java plugin is javamod to play tracker musics like MOD, XM, ...
It's not mandatory, you can forbid it. The regular app will run without it except you can't run music commands.

skid(Posted 2013) [#12]
I'm in, and it is quite correct, I am not an atomic playboy.

Fred(Posted 2013) [#13]
OK, the virtual guide is really missing.
As it can't be released yet, I wrote some different tutorial/walkthrough on the WireFred page.
It's not a documentation, just some examples to follow to get a better idea of the prototype technical features.

Fred(Posted 2013) [#14]
New version, new approach.

As it is not yet a game, I added a start menu to help discovering the creation and management tools and what the system can do:
http://www.ludoid.fr/WireFred

It should be more interesting now...

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#15]
That's nice, I love the model editor thingy. Reminds me of 80's movie's kind of how I expect a futuristic 80's Operating system to look.

garyk1968(Posted 2013) [#16]
Struggled for 5 mins, got a basic window up, gave up!

Fred(Posted 2013) [#17]
You should have a window named Demo Menu with options to click. If you don't and you tried a previous version, try to refresh the cache. Also you must use Chrome.

Uncle(Posted 2013) [#18]
Really impressive stuff :)