Lunax Mining Inc.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Lunax Mining Inc.

NotSure(Posted 2013) [#1]
Just Released ...

HTML5 Version
http://kstadler.ch/lm/

Flash Version
http://kstadler.ch/lm/flash.html

Raz(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hey this looks quite fun :) Will give it a proper look when I get home from work.

Wylaryzel(Posted 2013) [#3]
Tried it, it catches the old miner-story nicely. One of the things that could improved would be the time needed for movement/digging :-) Currently its a bit slow, and the progress rate to buy new equipment is very high

semar(Posted 2013) [#4]
Hey, very nice !

Did you use a framework ? If so, which one ?

Well done !

Sergio.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Pretty good but I found a couple of bugs.

First, the stars at the top are being drawn on top of the rocket.

Second, I noticed that my competitor didn't seem to be finding anything. When I eventually found where he was, he'd got himself stuck in an "L" pattern, moving left, right, up, down, left, right, up, down endlessly. He could obviously have gone elsewhere but he just wasn't doing.

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#6]
yeh the upgrades are too expensive, interest wanes before even getting 1/10 of the way to an upgrade.

It might be cool to have seperate pieces of equipment

a ground scanning radar to see possible deposits

a huge drill that only goes down

a smaller drill to remove ore

an ore refinery that you have to bring ore to, and operate, to get money.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#7]
Yeah it's a good PoC but for it to be a 'game' it does need a lot of polish adding. I managed to get a new cooler so I could go deeper, but found that I still only found coal and silver, which is right about where I got bored with it.

Another problem I found was that, going that deep, it was taking me 35% of my energy to get down, and 35% back up, leaving only 30% for actual digging. On one occasion I had to buy and use a battery to get back to the surface - the cost of the battery was more than I gained from my low-level expedition in the first place, making the whole thing pointless. I couldn't get enough money together for a teleporter (which I assume would help), and even if I could, I'd hope that the teleporter isn't a one-shot deal, otherwise that's too much as well if I have to keep buying them over and over.

It's things like this which need tweaking and ironing out.

samowitsch(Posted 2013) [#8]
I like it! Can you place the display for the depth and the money also on the top?

Regards

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#9]
I really like this! I agree that with a bit more polish this could be super fun. I think that you could lower the amount of energy required on empty spaces and maybe have a couple of smaller upgrades to get started and get some more interest early.

Beaker(Posted 2013) [#10]
Nice that I can play it on my iPad.

NotSure(Posted 2013) [#11]
Thank you for the comments.

Version 1.0.1
* fixed z-order on rocket
* changes on energy
* battery pack much cheaper now, 200 (was 450)
* gold is placed @ ~300m

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#12]
Suggestions:

1. Make a key that lets me press it once and my guy keeps digging until I stop him. If I press the down arrow, he goes down down down until I stop him some how. Can either be arrow keys or an alternate set of keys to indicate different functionality.

2. At least have a left/right image for the drill car! That's just lazy. :-P

I wanted to see what would happen if I dug down and kept digging without stopping, but I hit some stuff I couldn't drill through! I guess I need upgrades for the hard stuff.

NotSure(Posted 2013) [#13]
Version 1.0.2
* add left/right image for drill car, thanks c.k.
* bugfix NPC never recharged (code was inside If CONFIG="debug"), thanks to GfK

More ... the teleporter was never a one-shot deal. You can replace it. A scanning radar is already in the game.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#14]
Edit Because I just used a teleporter for the first time and I like the way they work.

Anything that isn't a consumable, like the navigator, should be listed under upgrades and not under items, which mostly appear to be consumables.

Also, what do the aliens do?

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#15]
I did find a small bug. When you collect rubies it is updating the emerald field in stats.

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#16]
ALIENS?!!? XD

semar(Posted 2013) [#17]
The 'aliens' steal energy from the harvester - keep out !

My question again @NotSure: did you use a Framework for the animations and transactions ? If so, which one ?

A couple of questions more:
- in the HTML5 version there's a Full Screen mode. How did you achieved that ?
- how do you save the whole game status ? With Savestate ? I ask this, because is interesting how the whole map and player properties seems to be saved in no time !

By the way, a nice done game :)

Sergio.

NotSure(Posted 2013) [#18]
Version 1.0.3
* bugfix when you collect rubies it is updating the emerald field in stats, thanks Why0Why

@semar
I do not use a framework. There are a few functions from other people I use like the astar lib (which I think I used in a wrong way), autofit (for fullscreen) and angelfont.

The map saves very fast on the HTML and Flash target. I'm using the Savestate for this (on Android it takes years for some reason, on GLFW it is okay)

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#19]
This is classic. Wasted several hours on this, and I don't like many games these days!

A few ideas-

1) Teleporter makes it too easy. Carry it around, then drop it an teleport to the surface and back every time you need to recharge. Kills the tension of mining at depth.

2) Same for batteries. You should only be able to purchase stuff on the surface, IMO. Once I was deep enough, I could afford to continually buy batteries to keep me going without surfacing.

3) How about lifts? Much like a teleporter, but- you can only place it once, it must be in a shaft that goes straight vertical to the surface, you can only place it once, they only go to a certain maximum depth- after that you're on your own.

4) Make rescues more costly, and don't allow rescues above a certain depth to really increase the tension.

5) It would be nice to have some way to win this- maybe earn a certain $ and you get to go home on the rocket for your holidays?

Anyway, whether you take any of these onboard or not, it's a cracking game.

C10B(Posted 2013) [#20]
Brilliant game - great work :-)

mjcamerer(Posted 2013) [#21]
I really liked this game. Enjoyed it for over an hour! :)