100K+ Android downloads!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/100K+ Android downloads!

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#1]
Started tinkering with Monkey less than a year ago.

Since we launched our first, simple app last June, we've had over 100000 downloads of our little games.. Amazing! http://www.facebook.com/SilentsharkGames. Please Like our Facebook page :-)

Just imagine what you could do with some real talent ;-) Millions of downloads must be possible..

benmc(Posted 2013) [#2]
That's awesome! Keep it up!

You can reach a million. I hit 3 Million with one game (Touch Pool 2D Lite), and 1 Million with another (Fun-Putt Mini Golf Lite) about 1.5 years ago, before I switched to Monkey actually .. but still - if independent developers like me can do it, you certainly can, you're games are very well made. Marketing marketing marketing :)

EDIT: Added game names, sorry. Scorched Monster also is getting around 100-150 downloads a day on iPhone, but practically dead in the water on Android.

maverick69(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thats cool. My game "Sophia's World" has reached nearly 200k downloads since December 2012 on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intermediaware.sophiasworld&hl=de

I've done no marketing at all - I like to focus on develop games (and I'm very bad at marketing) :)

What was the game with 3 Million downloads? That's insane! Congrats!

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#4]
@benmc - 3 million! that's fantastic, congratulations!!

@maverick69 - 200K in under 3 months on google play seems very good. I guess the slick, cute graphics help. If you're getting 200K+ on Google Play, you should try Amazon. I've been seeing far more downloads on Amazon than Google Play..

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#5]
I haven't even had 100 downloads on either of my two yet... and even the free version of my cardtris type game has only had a handful. I must be doing something wrong or my games are just rubbish. lol

Snader(Posted 2013) [#6]
Caffeinekid, I found it usefull to rename my game on Google Play. Why don't you try to rename your game to 'Suit Up Poker' and see if it has any effect.

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#7]
@caffeinekid

Had a look at your stuff, which includes the awesome remake of Vic-20 Blitz. I had that game on my Vic (I think it came free with the computer). Happy days.

Anyway, here are some ideas to boost your downloads..

1. Use other app stores, not just Google Play. I've had some great experience with Amazon and Slideme, but there are others. I've had 4x more downloads from Amazon than Google Play.
2. Make sure the title of your app is "good", and you have plenty of relevant keywords in the description.
3. Work hard on the app's logo - apparently catchy/ attractive logos make a huge difference in downloads.
4. Use other methods to promote, e.g. facebook, twitter. You might want to try the IDRTG group in twitter (google it!), or one of the indy gamer pages on facebook to promote (http://www.facebook.com/groups/indydev/)
5. Think of other forums you are a member of, and promote there.

I'm sure there are more tips.. given your work, you deserve more downloads :-)

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#8]
I'm currently trying to sign up and convert my games to Blackberry with their tools to see if that generates a few sales too - they are asking for printed documents for proof of identity which seems a bit much. lol

I've upped a couple of my games to Amazon Market and will do the other two as well soon.

Slideme? I've not really heard of that one.

I'm really rubbish at shameless self promotion (a bit like Yak) but I post my games on my Facebook/Google+/Twitter and a couple of forums I'm a member of - joining forums just to advertise stuff seems a bit bleh :)

My new game is out as of yesterday and I hope it at least exceeds the 6 copies I've so far sold of the previous one :)