pixels...

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/pixels...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
Here is the initial concept

and here is my first pass at turning it into a small sprite for a 1/4 top down game, this would be the walking left or right animation.

Version 2.

cleaned up the dithering which I think i overdid, and added the feet to show what I was talking about bellow.

Version 5.

Walk is now Final I think, added a little idle anim

not sure im all that happy with it, would love some feed back.

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#2]
not bad I would look at the feet again though and see what could be done there :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
yeah the feet are just little upside down Triangles, I tried putting some more detail in there but it just didn't look right.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
Look good. For such a small image, it still shows a lot of detail. Which tools did you use for creating the image?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
combination of things really, I use pixel edit a lot, in fact I should have done this in pixeledit, but this time around because the original concept was done in Fireworks I used that for the pixel work.

I really wana try and get my hands on a copy of GraphicsGale something I saw used in the recent Mojam, and a tool id never seen till then but has some really cool features.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#6]
hmm just watching that animate above im not moving that left eye enough.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#7]
I think as the foot moves forward it should lift up more, so you can see the bottom of the foot.

Also his "quiff" looks a bit jumpy on one or two frames - very noticeable at the back of the head.

MaxPower(Posted 2013) [#8]
version 2 looks a lot more fluid.

ordigdug(Posted 2013) [#9]
Good start.... Looks odd with left eye moving but right eye staying in place. Also, maybe you should have the arm rotate while moving.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#10]
I like version 2 the best.

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#11]
Version 4 is almost- if not- perfect!

That might should be his "running" speed, however. Make one where he lumbers a bit...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#12]
thanks guys, little feedback helps a lot when it comes to getting little sprites to look right..

The speed is simply the default from the tool, iv not touched it at all so i could slow that that down in code easily by tweaking the timer, or speed it up, I think I might make that a walk tho I fancy trying to make his fat belly jiggle when he runs.

think thats what I will try next.

wiebow(Posted 2013) [#13]
This has been helpful to me. I know that this is about a little monster walking and not a human with longer legs, but the principle remains the same: http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/aim/a_notes/walk_reference_01.html

wiebow(Posted 2013) [#14]
And yes, use Graphics Gale!!!!! It's awesome.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#15]
Yeah I have that page book marked, got a few others as well with similar info on it.

It helps me a lot as well, if I was working in a space with more than 32 pixels I would follow a more traditional animation for walking, but when your cramped up into a small tile its a bit harder.

wiebow(Posted 2013) [#16]
Then maybe you can try to design it on a larger grid, but scale it down and touch it up when saving.