Hellwing

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Hellwing

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#1]
Early tests of our latest machination has it working brilliantly on android. Compiling was flawlessly getting it from code to device and it runs smooth as silk.

As with all builds there were some things that need sorting like the background isnt scaled right on me widescreen Nexus 7 but its working :D

All this after getting Linux to work properly so now it all is it compiles and deploys and runs lovely.

I can see monkey becoming more and more use over the coming years quite simply as its code once deploy everywhere like Unity just without the ludicrous pricetag :-)

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#2]
ysh its nice

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#3]
Well scaling is all working perfectly now, I will still need to make sure that the buttons arent scaled to small on phone screens but apart from that everything works nice :D

The game still works flawlessly and I am gonna add more to it over the coming week so the game will get to the stage where I can actually post some screenies :)

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
What is the game about?

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#5]
Its a plane game where you fly along shooting or avoiding enemies to see how far you can get, the scores will be saved so you can challenge your friends :D

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#6]
EdzUp, what backend (leaderboards) host/server are you using?

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#7]
havent got to that bit yet, the game itself is coming together really nicely. When coding I tend to go for a modular approach to everything so when it gets to the time for me to add all that backend stuff to handle scores etc I can just drop it in add the calls to the functions where required and its a go :). Well thats the theory anyways :)

The modular approach has allowed me to add extra sections and rewrite old ones as required without breaking the whole game :D

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#8]
Well the main menu system is in along with the new font system I have done (see http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=4683 ). On the whole its been quite a productive few hours next up is completing the high score table and doing some physics and collision work :)

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#9]
On top of that unity's idiotic price gives you less power, slower games because of code encryption/obfuscation and less capabilities. In unity they use a lot of code obfuscation and they give zero acess to the native source code to the games you create afaik. That really sucks because that means you can't make your own modules, targets, etc all you can do is make plugins, which isn't at all good for people wanting a decent learning curve into c++, and other "intense" languages. you can't even edit an unity exported game outside of unity. In monkey for example, when compiling to windows it give you the option to edit the code in visual studio, code blocks, etc instead of editing completely in the limitations of monkey. Just like monkey, unity has its limitations, but monkey is completely expandable for all of its users. 90% of monkey either is public domain or open source from what I understand. That's a huge plus! One that unity(debatably the most expensive there is out there), game maker studio(I own the pro version and it sucks, waste of money even with the "generous" discounts I had), stencil (monthly payments required for effective lifetime use or any use), and plenty other outrageously expensive engines (some of which I own the full version of and/or compared to monkey) will never have.

Cheers!
TKG

therevills(Posted 2013) [#10]
Code obfuscation does not slow programs down... encryption might.

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#11]
Whether that particular point I made was significant, the rest certainly is IMHO.

Sorry for rambling on how much I don't like other engines lol.