Jumping Jack

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Jumping Jack

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#1]
I just got Monkey finally at the start of the month after having a break from coding (I've coded several games on Blitz 3D/Blitz Max in the past) to take part in the challenge of One Game A Month in 2013.

My January game is finished - spent most of the month trying to get my head around the many differences between BMax and Monkey but I managed to get something done in the end.

Jumping Jack (old 16K Spectrum game) for Android - 99 pence

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tcksoft

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#2]
Inspiring since you are new to Monkey and actually finished a game in the first month.

BigAnd(Posted 2013) [#3]
Nice one Caff and a great reply from the original author.

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#4]
HA, Jumping Jack was the FIRST computer game I ever played, back in the early 80s.

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#5]
Cheers guys.

I've sold a whopping 20 copies so far! LOL

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#6]
Jumping Jack is now available on OUYA - free download with a $1.99 full games unlock. If you can't get past the first screen you don't need to worry about that though. LOL

https://www.ouya.tv/game/Jumping-Jack/

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#7]
Nice! I'll look for it tonight and give it a try. Good job man :)

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#8]
Thanks. I put in a fake ZX Spectrum loading thing in to start to hopefully give the game time to get the rest of the graphics organised so fingers crossed the graphic glitching won't appear now. I hope so anyway!

It's not the most high tech game ever but I've always enjoyed it since it first appeared 30 years ago - and the original author was a great guy and wished me well and gave me his blessing for the remake, which is always good. :)

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#9]
That is awesome :) I'll check for the glitches and keep you posted on my findings. Hopefully all runs well!

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#10]
I downloaded and played the game. Man it is EXTREMELY difficult! Especially since you have to time everything in order to move up the screen! I kept playing and playing and playing and realized I was addicted. I can't get past the fourth level up though :|

So playing it on the OUYA was very smooth and I did not see any of the screen junkies you spoke about earlier in the other post. I wonder if thats just sporadic on the OUYA? Once I hit a pay day, I'll purchase the game (one because it is fun, and two I think you deserve it). Good job!

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#11]
I'm glad it ran ok for you and no problems! :)

Thanks that's very kind and I'm glad you like the game. :D

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#12]
The funny part is this lil game gave me some ideas for a future game I was thinking about making. Its so simple, yet addictive. I need to finish my current tasks first tho :)