Warfare Commanders - Project Diary - Part 1

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Warfare Commanders - Project Diary - Part 1

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi guys,

Just wanted to show off what im actually doing. Not a lots have been done yet but lots of research is already done and some proof of concept too and i started the project.

Warfare Commanders is gonna be a tactical Turn-based game where you control war drones against others players to dominate the universe (a classic). Simple as that. Each drones have unique capabilities and stats (about 20) and each of them have specials abilities and can be upgradable to a certain extend. The idea is to lets the player build an army of drones, customize it, make up a strategy, match against others. However there is no level system. By that i mean, a drone can't level up. If a drone is lost, you can't recover it. The drones you own on the battlefield won't make you win in the end, its the strategy you use that will make you win. I try to focus the game on this simple aspect.

The server is done in C# and i am using the WebSocket technology to make Monkey communicate with it. For now, only HTML 5 is planned but i will extend this further later if i get good results. Im also gonna use PubNub as push technology.

Here some screenshots of the game server :

More to come in the next weeks.. i may make up a blog soon but for now i prefer posting it here. :)

P.S: Yeah you might figured that the server have some french words. Its because the server might be in french but don't worry the game will be in english.

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hello there,

Some news regarding the game. Here my story regarding some problems i had this week during the developement.. the server part is ready enought to start beginning the client (in Monkey ofcourse!). Ive come into some problems when i found that the HTML 5 version of JungleGUI had a bottleneck with the rendering which is going to be fixed probably soon by Ziggy. (I hope so) Because the game really need some advanced GUI componenent and the best ones available right now is ofcourse JungleGUI library. So after i discovered that JungleGUI is rather slow on HTML5 (not that slow but still need to be fixed) i though myself.. i need somehow a backup target plus that wouldn't be bad to have a new target since HTML 5 might not suit everyone. So i went trying the glfw target.. since i wanted a Windows port of the game. However, i was diving in hostile territory by doing that. The reason its only on HTML 5 target right now is because i am using WebSockets technology (which i found fantastic in replacement of the Http Get technology). However, how can i build for glfw since its an html 5 technology ? Well some websocket client library exist for many language around that include java, C++, etc. So i went looking for a C++ library which was a success but since i don't know C++ very well.. this failed miserably. Ive lost like 1 full week on this. Then one day i looked for some XNA stuff on monkey board. XNA ? Damn.. can't belive ive forgot about this. This target can export to Windows ! i wonder why i didn't thought about it first ! plus its written in C# which i know very well. So i decided to go the XNA (Windows) route and it was a success ! I just tried a websocket client port to C# by the same guys that wrote the lib for the server so it work hand-in-hand. Now i can finally get ready to create the client. Sorry i don't have anything interesting to show except this story for now but in the next month, there will be some screens !

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#3]
screenshot of client plz

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#4]
That coming! :) Like i said i was currently working on the infrastructure.