The Ignition games framework for monkey available!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/The Ignition games framework for monkey available!

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#1]
Finally!

The Ignition games framework for monkey v1.0 is now available!

And we have a brand new website!

Check it out at http://www.playniax.com

And a game showcasing the framework:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr36fKmC0BA&feature

We made this game in 2 months start to finish!

Music by Reyn Ouwehand!

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#2]
I guess that I can chime in now that it is released :) I have been using this for several weeks. I am very impressed. It is a great system that is easy to use with a ton of tutorials that are easy to work through and that show how to use the framework very well.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks!

You can download a sample of the docs and bananas:

http://www.playniax.com/download/sample.zip

You can NOT compile the bananas without getting errors because you are missing the framework and data files but it is to give you an impression of the framework.

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#4]
Hi,

Congratulations - and what a beast of a project!

Soap(Posted 2012) [#5]
Order form didn't work for me first time. I'll try again later.

Congratulations on finally releasing!

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#6]
Thanks Mark! :) I underestimated the work...

Order form did not work?! We can't have that. I noticed sometimes that there is a delay before the share-it page shows. Maybe wait a few seconds?

BigAnd(Posted 2012) [#7]
Congrats on the release guys, great work.

Quick question: Can you use sprite atlases for you graphics (all you graphics on one big sheet) or does it have to be animated strips?

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#8]
Awesome, and i'm sure many can agree with me when i say about damm time too :)!!

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#9]
I agree :)

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#10]
@BigAnd:

For now you can load the usual animated strips or load multiple (seperate) sprite images from path.

Files must be numbered for example e.g. ship0000.png, ship0001.png, ship0002,png, ship0003,png, ship0004,png

Example function:

iLoadSprite:Image [] (_start:Int, _count:Int, _path:String, _frameCount:Int = 1)

cs6505(Posted 2012) [#11]
Hi all. I'm trying to order this but the site and link appear to be down. Can anyone else access?

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#12]
Strange, I just tested it but it works fine. Do you mean the whole site?

Amon(Posted 2012) [#13]
Will purchase this as soon as I'm paid on Wednesday. Looking forward to using it.

Congratz on the release!

BigAnd(Posted 2012) [#14]
@Playniax: Cheers for the info.

Foppy(Posted 2012) [#15]
Your website and list of features look very good.

By the way I found three small typos on your website:

- towards the bottom where it says "Mutli Platform" in blue (instead of Multi)
- in the description of Monkey below that, where it says "mutiplying" (instead of multiplying); that one is from the Monkey website I think ;)
- under Tile System it should be "its" instead if "it's"

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#16]
Definitely buying this. Well done!!!

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#17]
a few questions if you dont mind

1) is the special effects generator a particle emitter or does it just work with with sprite strips.

2) ive nearly finished a game but not added highscores or a loader screen for flash.Can i implemet this fairly easy with your system.

3) can i just pick out a few of your modules to use instead of having to use your framework in its entirety.

your framework looks great by the way.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#18]
Hi dave.h

1) The special effects are animations but the framework does have a particle emmiter that was used to create them. It's a copy of the BlitzMax version of Ignition that does not use animations. I just thought at the time that for the mobile devices it would be better not to have real time particles for the effects but in retrospect it does work very well. For now the particle emmiter is basic but I will add stuff over time. I will try to put a particle demo online hopefully in a few days.

2) I think yes, it's prety straight forward but in all cases it depends on someone's skill or knowledge of monkey. If there is a framework question I can try to help. One note, Ignition does not support online highscores yet.

3) Ignition exists out of the following modules:

collisionlayer.monkey
collisions.monkey
commoncode.monkey
config.monkey
font.monkey
gfx.monkey
highscore.monkey
sound.monkey
storage.monkey
strings.monkey
tiles.monkey

Also a loader and fx classes.

Most can be used separate or all together so they are realy easy to implement in existing projects.

Besides this there is engine.monkey

The engine relies on the above modules. It should not be to hard to port an existing project to the engine because it is very similar to the App class in terms of usage.

Only the 'problem' is that the loader and fx class uses the engine module and the engine module depends on most of the other modules. So the answer is both yes and no. For the other modules, they don't depend so much on others.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#19]
@Foppy: Thanks for the corrections, we will adjust it.

Shanon(Posted 2012) [#20]
I tried to order this on chrome but the screen went blank when it was trying to get to the paypal screen I believe.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#21]
Hi,

I noticed a delay before the ordering page shows sometimes. I am not sure what's going on. I changed the buy now link and is now linking directly to share-it. I hope this works better as a temporarily solution.

Shanon(Posted 2012) [#22]
That got it.

I would just disable whatever you have on your site and use that link until it is worked out. Ordering through the site is definitely borked up. Took me less than 60 seconds to complete the order with that link.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#23]
Thanks! What OS are you using if I may ask?

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#24]
Bought. Worked for me. :)

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#25]
Is there any easy way that im missing to get the highscore to work with fontmachine. Ive added

[code]
Function Show2(font:BitmapFont,font_size:Int)
For Local i:Int = 0 Until table.Length()
font.DrawText(i + 1 + " - " + Zeroes(table[i].score) + " - " + table[i].name, 100, i * (font_size +5))
Next
[/codebox]

to the highscore module then called it with

iHighScore.Show2(font,15)

15 being the size of my font.And this works great but am i overcomplicating things.You also need to import fontmachine in your module.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#26]
Can you send me the complete code?

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#27]
yes i will put a small demo together when i finish work tonight and send the zip to

framework@...

ok managed to do it b4 i went to work

Shanon(Posted 2012) [#28]
To purchase I was using mac os snow leopard and chrome.

cs6505(Posted 2012) [#29]
Bought! Very impressive. Nice piece of work.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#30]
Thanks!

Working on V1.1 :)

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#31]
I see that you can delete a tile from a tile map, but there is no way of adding a tile to a tile map. I know this might sound daft, but think of a match3 game where the position of the tiles are being continually changed. Is it possible to have something like TileMap.Add(Image, Column, Row) and TileMap.Delete(Column, Row)?? I might have missed the point and there is already some way of achieving this?

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#32]
Nothing serious, but list.Ascend() is not documented, maybe you can add in your next release?

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#33]
Thanks!

I made a note for the docs.

TileMap.Add and TileMap.RemoveTile do exist.

I send an example by email to you.

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#34]
Thanks.

Amon(Posted 2012) [#35]
Got my copy now. :)

Snader(Posted 2012) [#36]
Got my copy also! Nice work! Never used the blitzmax version though.. not much time left to spend on programming :)

Tried the galaxyprotector app on my HTC one V, but the game crashes immediately.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#37]
Thanks! Apparently on some android devices the game crashes. Apparently it has something to do with an older version of monkey we used to compile it. Update is on it's way. Works fine on my android devices though.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#38]
Works fine on my android devices though.

You need this sticker for that:

:D

Mikau Schekzen(Posted 2012) [#39]
Howdy!

This may sound stupid, but how do I compile the tile editor? I assume I'd need BlitzMax to compile it, but yeah, I don't have that.

-Mikau

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#40]
I have send you an email.

Nope, you don't sound stupid at all and yes, you need BlitzMax. I will put some executables online later for people who don't have Max. Btw, you can download a 30 days trial of BlitzMax to compile it your self.

Amon(Posted 2012) [#41]
Will it compile with the demo if it is not the latest version as up to date as the paid version is?

Mikau Schekzen(Posted 2012) [#42]
Ah yes, I have received it. Many thanks!

Precompiled executables would be nice for the future, indeed. Or to have the code in Monkey. But ah, well.

Great job on making Ignition, though! Still figuring out Monkey in general, truth be told, but ah, well.

-Mikau