Escape of the Dead

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Escape of the Dead

GW_(Posted 2012) [#1]
I did a one day conversion of a pen and paper game called Escape of the Dead to monkey.

Check it out here http://www.kerneltrick.com/?p=28

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#2]
It doesn't respond very well, sometimes not at all, on the "Click to continue" results screen. I tried it in Chrome and Firefox.

Neat little game!

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#3]
That is fun. I like it!

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#4]
I click on the start button but nothing happens

GW_(Posted 2012) [#5]
..on the "Click to continue" results screen ..

I got that same response from a friend who tried it on firefox, but I cant duplicate it myself(firefox). I lowered the framerate to 20 and that seemed to help but i'll look and see if i can resolve it.

Thanks for trying it!

edit:
I made a few tweaks, let me know if a lot of mouse clicks are still getting missed.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#6]
Every other item is very responsive to my clicks. (I'm using Chrome, btw). But that pop-up results gray box just doesn't want to respond very quickly. I can click on it for a while, rapid-click it, and it eventually goes away. Not like the easy, single-click response of the other UI elements.

Weird! I hope you figure it out. I WANT TO REPAIR MY CAR!!! :-)

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#7]
im clicking quickly on the start button but nothing happens

GW_(Posted 2012) [#8]
I was able to duplicate the mouse issue on another laptop.
Im guessing that it's related to the size and/or numbers of images im drawing at that stage of the game. the framerate is really low on the computer that has the mouse clicking issue (about 3 fps).
I think it can't keep up and is dropping the event or something. There is very little I can do as MouseHit() is a monkey internal and if it doesn't work then it just wont work.
A good learning lesson I suppose, html5/monkey is not for much more than toy examples. I created a flash version for those with mouse issues and updated the page.

Thanks for trying it out!

therevills(Posted 2012) [#9]
Its a pretty good game, but I think you must be doing something wrong if the MouseHit command, I get the same reported issue on this PC(check my sig). I havent had this kind of issue with my games.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#10]
I had that same issue with my Surviball game when I added too much stuff that it became slower than the SetUpdateRate. the only way to fix it was to move the mouse/keyboard processing functions to the OnRender() method. What is odd to me is that it doesn't look as it should be doing a lot of work for it to be causing such a slowdown.