"Gravity Ed" toy

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/"Gravity Ed" toy

Cygnus(Posted 2012) [#1]
Eyup!

I call it a toy because I wanted to play with how my next game would work. Turns out, pretty sweet.

http://www.sturdygames.co.uk/GravityEd/

I wrote it using the demo, as far as I could, but lack of saving any sort of data meant I couldn't finish the editor.

It's rather good fun! Press E to toy with the scenery.

Amon(Posted 2012) [#2]
I feel dizzy after playing that. :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#3]
now thats cool.. I love your real simple way of handling gravity as well, that when thinking about it could have easily been a hard thing , but your solution is perfect.

nice one. i love seeing little creative things that just get you tilting your head and thinking wow!.

nice.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
As I said on IndieCodez:

"Whoah! Cygnus thats very cool!"

and welcome to the Monkey forums :)

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#5]
the link is dead for me

Cygnus(Posted 2012) [#6]
Glad you like it guys! There's a whole game coming- puzzles and dizzyness all on their way.

I've updated the link now as I moved it onto my new site :-) Sorry Slenkar.

Cheers therevills!

Now imagine adding water to the mix. Naturally, liquid is affected by gravity ...

benmc(Posted 2012) [#7]
Glad you have a separate thread for this game. It looks interesting. As noted in the other thread, I thought it felt a bit like "They Need to be Fed", but as more of an adventure, which is awesome.

Since I'm used to the other game, I personally didn't like how my controls changed from left to right to up and down. I'm still running my character left to right, so it seemed odd that I had to change my controls.

I think the "gravity" aspect is where the comparison ends however, the potential "adventure" aspect of this game is exciting, I'm subscribing to this thread for sure, can't wait to see where you go with it.

Will you be making it so the character can modify the terrain, with weapons or tools possibly?

Cygnus(Posted 2012) [#8]
Yep, the terrain will be modified in a basic way. I want it to be purely tile based, so you will be able to blow up the tiles, which will dynamically change gravity in those areas. Destruction method would vary, like grenades for instance, you need to get rid of it before it blows- use it to blow holes in an important section of the level by using gravity to guide it there.

There will be a multitude of puzzles, and I have quit a few twisted water-based gravity well puzzles on paper for it. It is possible for rubble or flowing tiles (think water from Minecraft) to fall, but they will follow gravity.

Another aspect is that the game will have a built in editor (as you can see this will be included right from the start.)

Oh, an important thing to note is that the control scheme will be changeable, Both types are already in there. I did want the camera to orientate itself with the player but this deducted from the feel, so I'm leaving it out.

Cygnus(Posted 2012) [#9]
Updated :-) Level editor is updated (though you can't save in the HTML version..) and a test level is in place.

My graphics abilities are being pushed to their limits, though- Incoming artist!

benmc(Posted 2012) [#10]
Just some feedback: It seems that after you jump you can't change directions which has made it very hard to control. I can't seem to go up steps right now when going in the same direction just because I hit jump then try to move. This is particularly challenging when you are up against a platform. Was wind added?

Cygnus(Posted 2012) [#11]
No, wind wasn't added, but that control scheme has always been like that. I might pop a fix in if it turns out to be too hard to control when I've added the first few puzzles.