Sleeping Disorder WIP

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Sleeping Disorder WIP

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#1]
This game is intended to be commercial when the full version is completed. You can see my progress here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/79893663/SleepingDisorder.zip

There's nothing much to look at or do, but I'll be updating this from time to time hopfully after a few months there will be a demo worth playing.

The full version will be for XBox360, Windows, Mac, and Linux (with special thanks to the creators of MonkeyMax for Linux support).

This project will take a very long time, we're talking 5 years max.

Story (first person): "What, where am I? What is this strange place? I seem to be in an endless void of darkness. The only hint of light and hue that I can see is in a strange building, seems to be a hotel of a sort. And what psychedelic looking doors it has. Was I sleeping? Or Am I asleep right now? I can't remember anything. I must find out what what is going on. It's cold out here. And I'm afraid. Maybe if anyone is in that hotel I could recieve answers from them..."

About the gameplay: Depending on what decisions you make and the items you obtain will make the gameplay and story different each time you play. This means there are multiple ways to win, but far more hidden traps to prolong you from winning the game. If you make the wrong move, which can be avoided by finding hints, you could for example get trapped and would have to figure out even more puzzles and riddles before you can 'win'. Never open anything (door,box,etc) or use any items for anything unless you are really sure you won't regret it. There will be things that can trick you, you may be hungry, and you find some food, but don't eat it unless you know for sure it doesn't contain something poisonous. Clues will always be provided to prevent you to make any wrong decision, but you will always have to find them first. Or you may wonder what is behind a door, make sure you look thruogh a window to see what is inside before going in.

So, how do you "win"? Make use of anything you can find and the objective will reveal itself as the story unfolds.

2-5 hours of gameplay when I complete the full veriosn, with over 20 ways to win, an at least 10 different endings. Can you unlock them all? The free online demo will have no means to win, but it will give the player enough curiosity to buy the full version. Please note the demo will hardly take 40 minutes, and even the demo is very far from being complete.

For those of you who don't want to associate with witcraft in video games, this game does involve real life spells being used against the main character in the story, stay away from this game if you feel that you will get influenced by it. Keep in mind the game world is fantasy, but it uses real concepts that can very easily be used and abused if applied outside of the game world and in the real world.

Let me know what you guys think, because the concept and everything is planned out, not everything I have planned is mentioned here.

Thanks for any feedback and/or suggestions!
TKG

Raz(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hi there, just wondering...

Other than looking at the door and the stairs (as well as being able to click on the door), is it actually possible to do anything else at this stage?

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#3]
If you make the wrong move, which can be avoided by finding hints, you could for example get trapped and would have to figure out even more puzzles and riddles before you can 'win'. Never open anything (door,box,etc) or use any items for anything unless you are really sure you won't regret it. There will be things that can trick you, you may be hungry, and you find some food, but don't eat it unless you know for sure it doesn't contain something poisonous.

sounds like a roguelike called nethack, but also like one of those 'locked in a room' games,

The graphics are great,

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#4]
You can't do anything other than what you mentioned, but I'll be updating the demo rapidly as the project grows.

Thanks for for your kind words. The graphics are being prerendered with Bryce 7.0 Pro. My computer is slow as crap. So each time I render even the smallest animation, it usually takes from a couple hours to even a couple days.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#5]
My computer is slow as crap. So each time I render even the smallest animation, it usually takes from a couple hours to even a couple days.

you could develop the game for GLFW using Monkey3D and then when everything is finalised render in bryce.

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#6]
^I'd preffer to not do any extra work, but thanks for the suggestion.

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#7]
Warning: gore alert!
Here's a screenshot of a room inside the hotel.

A demon possessed man has ripped his family to sheds of guts piled high and splattered all over the wall. While leaving their remains in this room, you are soon to discover you are not alone here.

No update was made to the gameplay, but it will expand within the next few days.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#8]
lol thats great, make that one of the first things you see in the game!

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#9]
Was that sarcasm? Haha.