Animation wip.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Animation wip.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#1]

Few queries really, how many frames of animation is commonly used in flash games, or stuff for mobile, is there a semi standard number of frames that people use ?

Also, what do you think this is ? what was your first thought, I am aiming for a glob of wet paint.

It's for an odd little game concept I had where the player will need to shoot an object with RGB paint balls to colour it, so that it does not destroy the wall its about to hit.

Here is the player ship/paint gun, not animated yet but will probably do something with the paint in the jars when the basic gun is finished.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#2]
I think the number of frame depends on the game really. I wouldn't say there is a limit as long as the device has enough video memory basically!

The animation is nice!

Not sure if its as a result of using a gif, but the bottom of the paint has some circle bands? This looks a bit weird! The other point is that paint is generally really shiney. Currently your softened highlights and gradient fills make it look like bogey/snot instead of paint.

Notice the high contrast of color bands and shine!

Hope that helps.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#3]
yeah its colour loss due to the giff, it looks better in its png format.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
rotated paint gun.

the gun will rotate as it moves around a big outter ring, always looking inward, so that rotation jitter wont be noticed.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#5]
Looks cool, Kind of tron-like!

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#6]
the green thing gave me the impression of slime when I first saw it, the gun looks like an insect, dunno if you were going for that or not

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#7]
Nah, and your not the first to say that, it's still really early days with this concept, and since the bug theme has come up more than once I am considering that as an overall theme to the game, either that or I will redesign the front of the gun to look less bug like.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#8]
why are you rotating the paint holder thingy without using Monkeys rotate commands?

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#9]
Probably because he couldn't (easily) make the paint flow toward gravity... The animation lets him move the paint in the cannons easily.

Although, that brings up the question, why move the paint inside the cannons? :-)

Edit: I just noticed, I was thinking the paint came out the translucent cylinders, but maybe it's just stored there and comes out the other end. WHICH IS IT? :-D

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#10]
LOL no one ninja my idea ;)

But here is the basic concept I came up with, and yeah the paint holders are pre done because creating a dynamic fluid simulation to get the same effect seemed like overkill when I could just bake it.

So the little cubes spawn from the center, and move out to the outer ring, they spawn white, or a colour, the player then needs to either re-paint them or leave them alone to score a point, if a red cube hits a blue or green outer ring wall block it will deal damage and remove the block.

if a cube makes it outside the ring the player dies or game ends.

the player ultimately will need to pick the direction he moves to get the maximum efficiency from their paint gun, if they slip up they lose.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#11]
sounds interestin but no way of telling til theres a prototype

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#12]
yeah thats the next step, code something and see if it works as an idea or not.

the good thing is that there really is not much going on code wise, so should be pretty straight forward to get something functional once I start, I think I will flesh out some of the art first tho.

degac(Posted 2012) [#13]
tempest+columns!
I like it!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#14]
there are probably a few games with similar themes, its really rare these days to see a truly original idea, its all about the implementation.

Samah(Posted 2012) [#15]
Cool idea, and I have a couple of suggestions/issues.

Paint is traditionally a subtractive colourspace, so your colours should be red, yellow, blue. If you changed it to this, you could add the ability to mix colours (hit a block with both blue and red paint to get a purple block). Technically you could still do that with additive colours, but to the lay person it makes no sense that red and green make yellow. Obviously this would only be on an advanced difficulty setting.

If a block spawns in exactly the opposite direction as the paint gun, there's a good chance they won't be able to reach it. You would have to tweak the speed to allow them to *just* reach it. If you do that, it's likely you'll lose a lot of fine control for small movements. Perhaps you could have a "boost" key that allows you to move very fast, but disables the fire button until you stop moving. This is what I implemented in Left150Dead with the run key.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#16]
Hay Samah, yeah if you note the block in the mock up, its got a red tri on it, which indicates its only partially covered in red paint, the idea being that if I then hit it with a green it would become in essence RGB #FFFF00, which is yellow.

I was toying with the idea of breaking the RGB range into segments 20 wide or steps of 20 or 30 which would give a large range of possible colours and really add some difficulty to the mix, but thats all stuff that will require lots of fine tuning and to be done when the bulk of the game is coded.

The speed thing I had been thinking about, I was playing with the idea that a paint drip that reaches the bottom of the cone, would rebound up the other side, would allow some one to shot a block from its other side, but im not sure if that would make things to easy or not.

I like the idea of a boost button, and had not thought of that, I was planning some power ups for gun fire rate, and paint glob size, so adding in a speed boost fuel or something would be easily possible.

thanks guys, for an early concept you have all really helped me flesh the idea out.. thanks all.