Objecty

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Objecty

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#1]
Ok instead of just spamming with multiple threads I will just start this one and carry it on!

I have been working on a timeline gadget for maxgui which will be for the keyframe animation aspect of Objecty.

http://www.skn3.com/junk/objecty/junk/timeline.zip

The gadget runs in a gl or dx canvas and is cross platform. Currently the following features are coded:
- resizing the column on the left
- moving the time scrubber (blue at top)
- moving the onion skin scrubbers (red and green at top)
- multiple tracks with keys
- selecting key frames via clicks
- selecting key frames via selection rect
- moving key frames
- flingable canvas pan (right click drag)
- expanding/collapsing bones/groups

Gonna be sweet when I can plug this into Objecty :D

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#2]
So since my last post I have been hard at work getting lots of ui elements working. I have a little video of the starts of the boned actor editor working:

So far the workings for key framing, tracks, bones and more is there I just need to do the visual/interactive parts now!

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#3]
Looking really good.

Uncle(Posted 2012) [#4]
Looks very smart indeed.

dmaz(Posted 2012) [#5]
looking very sweet!
don't forget about fonts :)

dmaz(Posted 2012) [#6]
looking very sweet!
don't forget about fonts :)

[edit] oh, and update that blog of yours ;)

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#7]
thanks all :D

haha I have not forgotten about fonts don't worry :D

I will do a blog update on monday, thanking you for the nudge ;)

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#8]
Here's an update! I have been hard at work improving performance in areas and also getting the key framing, tweening and transforms working. Transforms are super smooth, it was quite challanging to code but I'm happy with the results. I learnt a lot about 2d transforms so that should come in useful in the future!

The editor lets you use one of your created packed textures and then place copies of the atlas items onto the scene. Each placed copy is a bone and will get its own key frame track in the timeline. When you make changes to the bones you placed, key frames are automatically created at the current position on the timeline.

It's really easy to use and I'm focusing on making it simple but powerful. Currently I have everything set to linear tween, but I am looking at a good approach for simplifying how key frames tween. I don't want to do this with a graph as I think it adds complexity. I may do this
with a graph In the future but I think for game related purposes it would be more suitable to just have some basic tween types such as instant, linear, ease-in and ease-out.

Just like everything else in objecty, all animations, bones and key frames are nodes and are exposed to the lua exporter. This means custom exporters could be written to translate this data into any format. I'd imagine it would even be possibly to convert it into a flash animation if you were so inclined. I do plan on writing an exporter to use the spriter plugin as it is already on a ton of different development environments!

So that is where I am now, I will continue to plug away at te boned editor and will be releasing a kickstarter campaign when the uk version launches!

dmaz(Posted 2012) [#9]
super sweet! can't wait...

wiebow(Posted 2012) [#10]
Looks really cool. Well done so far!

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#11]
Wow, that's really amazing. Given the time it has been in development I guess it shouldn't have many bugs anymore.
Will there be a demo version?

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#12]
Haha I wouldn't like to say about the bug situation, It tends to work fairly solid although as my time is limited I will have to do some major bug hunting soon to keep up. I squashed a really big bug the other day which was causing a particular canvas to repaint 5 times when a value was being set on a node. At the speciffic part it was setting 6 values in one update and painting 30 times.

It was down to a messaging system I have for letting the different components all speak together and react to stuff.

Thanks for the nice comments :) I look forward to releasing a demo of some sort. I am still considering offering a beta along with the kickstarter campaign!

dmaz(Posted 2012) [#13]
Any news?! :)

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#14]
Still plugging away I will do a website update next week honest! I worked on my website earlier this week to allow me to post app updates and have them in the blog feed because I want to do more updates without having to do creative writing exercises lol.

I got project loading done (that was a big woo hoo moment). There was some hell with recreating the nodes in the correct order based on what other nodes they referenced. a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario.

I got onion skinning in which is mega fun to play with.
http://www.skn3.com/junk/objecty/screenshots/objecty-screenshot64.png

I have working bone hierarchy and joint snapping in, notice the timeline has nested tracks!
http://www.skn3.com/junk/objecty/screenshots/objecty-screenshot66.png

I got frustrated with coding the bone editor so I am currently now revising the sprite editor (for none boned animation) so that it is not a popup dialogue.

ordigdug(Posted 2012) [#15]
Looking forward to your updates....Sounds/Looks like a great product.

dragon(Posted 2012) [#16]
Objecty look like blender, but objecty is more simply to use
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-CfT5wwzY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7u5OE8YhPU

dragon(Posted 2012) [#17]
another software for animation (for HTML)

http://html.adobe.com/edge/animate/

impixi(Posted 2012) [#18]

another software for animation (for HTML)

http://html.adobe.com/edge/animate/

@dragon:
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I will mention that "Edge" software is dependent on Adobe's subscription-based, server-side "Creative Cloud" environment. Bad idea, IMO, no matter how good the tool is.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#19]
It is not really the same as objecty is orientated towards game development, it does look neat though!

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#20]
lots and lots of stuff done on objecty, I am drawing close to the UK kickstarter launch so I am pushing for a campaign to be live. Anyone interested in objecty please help with campaign once its running, I will be sure to post about it on these forums.

So I got a nice bit of code done in the last 3 days, a tilemap layout editor.

The editor lets you build your tilemap visually. You can slice images, and then arrange them freely on the canvas. Tiles can be placed into groups so that it is easy to keep your level assets organised.

Once you have imported all of your tiles you can create prefabs by selecting tiles and hitting the add prefab button.

The next step of development is to add a "magic tile" feature and then implement this all into the world editor. Magic tiles are a way of quickly painting landscape using a set of tiles. The painting procedure will sense its surrounding tiles and assign the appropriate tile pieces to generate proper looking landscape.

All fun stuff and much more to come!

Raz(Posted 2012) [#21]
Being able to drag and drop tiles to extend the tile map is genius :)

Moving things around tilemaps in photoshop (or any other graphics program) is a right pain if you don't have much space.

I'm looking forward to the launch!

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#22]
Any chance for a Mac version?

devolonter(Posted 2012) [#23]
Looks really great. Amazing work, Skn3!

Looking forward to release!

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#24]
Thanks much :D all. I was particularly chuffed with how simple the canvas resizing makes things!

There will most definitely be a mac version, I have been developing all my code to be cross platform code for windows and mac. Mac version is definitely in the pipeline.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#25]
:D well I submitted by kickstarter campaign this afternoon after one marathon work session in the last 3 weeks. Pushing 300 hours!

Just waiting for approval and then Wednesday's UK launch!

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#26]
Good luck Skn3! This looks like an awesome tool and something I will definitely be using when its released!

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#27]
Hey there monkey coders,

Just to let everyone know I have launched the kickstarter campaign tonight.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skn3/objecty-2d-game-development-made-easier

I will do a more official post tomorrow morning but just thought Id post this here for people to have a look.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#28]
I thought Kickstart didnt work for people in the UK ?

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#29]
They just opened to Uk projects at midnight tonight (last night).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#30]
ah sweet. nice one, well liked., tweeted and if and when im in a position , or have money in my paypal account you can count on a donation from me.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#31]
Awesome thanks :D everything helps. Blog me if you feel like it? hah. I think in 40 days time once the campaign ends I will be well and truly dubbed a web pimp. Lol.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#32]
Hey Skn3, looks really awesome. I think I am going to contribute in the next few days.
Also I wrote a short blog post about it: http://www.condorra.com/2012/10/31/objecty-2d-gamedev-app/

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#33]
It looks useful but a bit too expensive

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#34]
Hey shinkiro, appreciate the blog post and future backing :D positive words are very helpful in this process. Slenkar, for £25 you would be hard pushed to find tools to do this much. I think texture packer itself costs about £20.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#35]
Did you post anywhere on the Kickstarter that it was made with Monkey? I read it and didn't notice it, but I may have missed it. Thought it would be some good advertising.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#36]
I was thinking about the 80 for lifelong updates, but maybe it will be ok

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#37]
He's coding it in blitzmax which I recall talking to him about it in Irc.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#38]
Yeah made in blitzmax, maxgui and a large collection or custom modules. I am holding off doing any massive push on promotion for a few days and try and see if I can knock up a demo over the weekend. We shall see how I go :)

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#39]
I saw it on the Blitz forums too, but I thought it was Monkey for some reason. Maybe slip a mention somewhere in there, more adverts the better :)

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#40]
I'll definitely put something in Objecty saying that it was made in blitzmax :D

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#41]
Will there be a beta available for backers?
And how is the world editor progressing?

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#42]
Hey Shinkiro1,

I am currently pushing really hard to get a demo ready for everyone to try. If you checke the rewards on the kickstarter campaign you can get access to the beta forums which will give you beta updates.

The world editing stuff is purely prototype at the moment, I have a tilemap editor with prefab creation (you can see in a video up this thread) and a basic tilemap editor but that is as far as it goes for now. I don't want to limit this to just another tilemap level editor though so I do have some exciting plans for it.

So to cut a long story short, I am not pushing for the world editing to be in version 1.0, but it really depends on how well the kickstarter campaign is doing. At the moment it is very slow, but I am going to do some massive pushing next week :)

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#43]
btw slenkar I tweaked the pro version pricing :) Thanks for that, people seem to be going for it :D

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#44]
I support this, especially since it supports monkey :).