Terminal 2.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Terminal 2.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#1]
This is a sneak peek of one of my Projects, All I am looking for is a performance check, everything should hold smooth at 60 FPS, but if it drops I would love to know some details.

Arrow Keys to move, Z,X to shoot and bomb.

Don't worry to much about being hit, you cant die yet, points are earned by allowing a bullet to skim past your ship, you will see sparks fly when this happens, and of course by killing the enemy aliens.

Buttons 1 through 4 will increase your bullet power, and 5+ will change fire type, green red and blue.

These will be given to the player in the form of power ups which are also not in yet.

So have a bash and let me know what you think.

edit removed links :)

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#2]
Nice!

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#3]
Very nice, well done!

I especially like the smooth scrolling, parallaxed backgrounds. Reminds me of Galaga somewhat. Really like the "glow" effect you've achieved on the ships and the background? How'd you do that.

Smooth 60 fps on the html5 and flash version for me (win7 64 bit, latest Chrome, reasonbly fast quad core PC).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
Ah cool so running smooth then.

I am thinking about uploading another test version that's got some control over the number of actors that can spawn, the idea being to allow you to increase it until the game stops running smooth, it will help me find that balance between performance and maximum number of enemies.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#5]
As for the glow , its not final.

I came up with two ways of doing it, one is to bake the glow into the sprite and the other is to do it in real time, I tried both, the real time example can be seen here http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/topics.php?forum=1153&app_id=153 , and the glow in the game is baked.

The glow in the vector example is actually much better than it looks but it comes with a lot of over head, the baked glow is nice and does not have the over head but with the glow itself it forces me to use loose collision detection.

So At the moment, I am going with the baked glow, and loose collisions, as I feel it will give me the most flexibility when it comes to having lots of stuff on the screen at one time.

I don't want a bullet hell game, but I still want to really push the player around a bit.

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#6]
So At the moment, I am going with the baked glow, and loose collisions, as I feel it will give me the most flexibility when it comes to having lots of stuff on the screen at one time.

Loose collisions will probably allow for better gameplay anyway. You can be slightly generous about the player's bullets hitting enemies and similar for enemy bullets missing the player. Looks like it's shaping up really well, this, by the way.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#7]
Yeah normally with a game like this I would build it with pixel perfect collisions, but as you said the lose collisions help keep the gameplay frantic without a boom, dead player every 2 seconds.

It's still kinda early days , but its getting there, the major head ache I can see for me is integrating it with the scoreboard api's like faint and stuff like that, so I think I will target flash and html5 on portals first, and then do the additional code when I finally go to port it to mobile.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#8]
Like the glowing graphics style. The flash version doesn't load up for me though, and got stuck in the help screen. Also, how exactly does the bullet grazing work? The grazing seems to only occur when it hits the ship itself?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#9]
I'm seeing some edge seams on the flash version. It's not bad, because of the transparency, but it's definitely there. Looks good apart from that.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#10]
Yeah I know about the seems on some of the tiles, its just not high on the fix list at the moment because the collisions are lose and the seem does not get looked at.

The bullet grazing is working but its real close, if the bullet grazes down the ships left or right side you will notice lots of sparks but the bullet will not die cos its not actually hit you yet, getting a graze is not easy tho and its something I see taking lots of skill in the final game.

As the levels will be fixed, and the bullet patterns will be set, the bullet grazing is part of the game where a player will be able to skill up and really push their score up the leader board, so do not want to make it to easy.

matty(Posted 2012) [#11]
Something wrong with flash version...it appears on screen for instant but then disappears immediately..left with a white box.

HTML5 version runs but is very very very choppy...

Most Monkey flash/html games seem to work fine on this pc however...except I choose to run flash over html5 since often html5 crashes my chrome browser.

Still what I saw looked good.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#12]
can you give me some more details, what version of chrome you using, whats your PC spec, could you try it with firefox if at all possible.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#13]
Looks gorgeous! Nice. I do love the all-powerful weaponry, heh.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#14]
I fancy adding in some super guns at some point stuff that when you pick up you only get a very few shots with, or time limited or something, but thats a feature to add when everything else is in and working.