Yikes! Zombies! Shoot 'Em!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Yikes! Zombies! Shoot 'Em!

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#1]
Well, my very first Monkey project is getting somewhere. Don't laugh too much :-)

I had a lot of fun putting this together. Getting ideas from my kids (and graphics from my oldest lad) made it all a blast to do.

Targetting Android, but there's a flash version, too.

Here you go -

Yikes! Zombies! Shoot 'em! for Android and Yikes! Zombies! Shoot 'em! (Flash)

Comments welcome.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#2]
I only watched the YouTube Trailer. Possible improvements:
- Tween your heroes movement when going up down
- Shooting your weapon seems to be the core of the game: Make that really fun and think of ways to enhance it (particle effects, sound, animation, screen shake?)
- Add a little bit of ambiance using fog or other subtle animations
- Graphics are nice but I think with another look onto the color palette could be even better

Other than that, congrats, keep going.

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#3]
On iPad, but video looks like fun.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#4]
Well done! Reminds me kinda of Plants vs. Zombies, and I really really liked that game. Are the levels randomized?

It's a fun game. I might get it for my Android phone.

matty(Posted 2012) [#5]
Played it on kongregate...fun but very easy..I got through all the weapons, then the "super" versions then it seemed to repeat...very hard to die...simply keep clicking repeatedly on each of the different 'platforms'.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#6]
thanks for the responses, guys.

Love the suggestions, Shinkiro1, I will take a look.

c.k - the levels aren't random, they are all in a set order, different weapons (more to come!), then "super" versions of the weapons. If you do give this a go on android, please let me know how you get on. I have tested on a variety of phones, different resolutions, different versions of android etc, but more feedback is always good.

matty - cheers for the feedback. Always difficult to get the balance between "too easy" and "too tough". Tell me, was it the android version which you found too easy, or was it the flash one?

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#7]
silentshark - I meant, do the zombies come out randomized, or is there a set pattern? I guess I could play it a few times and figure that out myself, but I'm working and lazy right now! :-) Just curious about the algorithm you use to bring the zombies out.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#8]
Not completely random. There's a kludge on the first two levels to bias things towards the "grunt" and "longhair" zombies. On later levels its random, but skewed so that certain zombies are more (or less) likely to appear. Wanted to give a mix of bad guys, but make certain ones rarer, rather than pure random.

matty(Posted 2012) [#9]
Hi silentshark - I played the flash version.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#10]
Thanks, I will have a think about the difficulty..

TeaBoy(Posted 2012) [#11]
Really fun game, I always enjoy games with simple concepts, they are the best IMO.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#12]
Thanks for the positive view, TeaBoy. You can't get much simpler than this! We've been thinking about introducing another type of zombie - soldier zombies- which shoot back at you for additional interest and challenge. What do you think?

TeaBoy(Posted 2012) [#13]
Soldier zombie sounds like fun ;) considering I'm in the armed forces, that'll be right up my street lol

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#14]
Well, TeaBoy, after intense board room discussions, we are going to go for soldier zombies. There was debate about whether they will appear like normal zombies, or perhaps they parachute in.. Decisions, decisions!

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#15]
Normal soldier zombies should walk in like other zombies.

Extreme, airborne ranger zombies can come in from the sky! :-D

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#16]
yeah - like that idea. Next up is a few basics, though. Like a pause button, and a way to mute the sound fx or music if it bugs you. Cheers, all for the pointers, all feedback is appreciated.

Sammy(Posted 2012) [#17]
Looks like a lot of fun, well done!

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#18]
Reminds me a bit of the ancient 'tapper' game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_Beer_Tapper

Although one big difference (which made tapper -much- harder) is that in tapper you die if you throw something down a lane without there being anything to hit. (glass flies of the bar, smashing it, lose a life)

Some constructive critisism:

In the current setup, you game allows you to pretty much continually go up and down the lanes, shooting twice in each lane without looking, rinse & repeat. There is no real penalty that I could see for wasting ammo...
shoot-shoot-up-shoot-shoot-up-shoot-shoot-up-shoot-shoot-down-shoot-shoot-down, etc. If the zombies are even remotely equally distributed among the floors, you'll be able to beat pretty much every level that way.

It would become a lot harder if you wouldn't only enforce a number of bullets per lane, but also a total number of bullets on the screen at a time -- that way you can't just mindlessly shoot two bullets down an (almost) empty floor because doing that may not leave you with any bullets for the zombies near the end on floor above it.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#19]
xlsior, shut up! what are you doing?! XD

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#20]
xlsior - thanks, good point about the just shoot without looking, rinse and repeat. A couple of people have mentioned that this approach makes it too easy, so I'll have a think about things. I do kinda like the carnage angle on just allowing lots of ammo and lots of zombies, tho :-)

Re: Tapper - yes, I remember that, both the arcade one and playing it on the C64. Happy days!

Cheers for the feedback, and all the best.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#21]
Okay.. I'm getting closer to releasing on iOS (I hope - depends on passing Apple's QA checks). Now I'm stuck in the in "waiting for review" mode :-)

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#22]
Just played it yesterday. Its really addicting :)

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#23]
Thanks, TKG, glad it provided some brief amusement for you! You could even rate it, if you liked it :-) (hint, hint).

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#24]
iOS release is getting closer. Just had a flurry of emails from Apple, and we're through the QA process and should be on the App Store in the next few hours :-)

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#25]
Great - we're there, released on the app store, in all its glory.

YZSE on itunes

..and on facebook too http://www.facebook.com/YikesZSE, feel free to like or share etc.

Cheers.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#26]
v1.2 Update

Added smart bombs – you get a smart bomb every 10K points, and can use this devastating weapon to nuke all zombies on the screen.

On later levels, the shotgun gets a little more power (people were finding later shotgun levels too challenging! wimps, huh?)

Android and Flash versions have been updated. iOS version is with Apple, so should be live shortly (I hope)

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#27]
Ok, Apple have ok'd the update so the latest version is available on Android, iOS and the Flash version..