Objecty - level editor concept demo

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Objecty - level editor concept demo

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#1]
I am currently putting the finishing touches on a campaign video for indiegogo (similar to kickstarter) to try and get some financial backing for Objecty.

In the video I want to demonstrate some of the features that will be added if I can get enough funding. I spent about 4-5 hours today adding a level editor demo into Objecty

This is a fully functioning editor and it ties into Objecty's existing texture packing so tiles are single surface packed instead of an image-strip. This means we can also do cool stuff like edge colour bleeding on each tile!

Eventually I could expand it to allow placing of sprites, shapes and boned characters. If it took me 4 hours to get here, imagine what a months worth of development would achieve!

Objecty does all of exporting via lua scripts so it will be really easy to support the wealth of runtimes out there. The scripts folder is available to the public so there are no limitations on what exporters you can write.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#2]
Not bad, not bad.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#3]
Nice!

What is edge color bleeding?

Any more features that you can reveal now?

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#4]
Edge color bleeding, like when you add extra color round your sprites in your texture. This means that when you scale/rotate in your game you won't get artificacts and mess!

Well the level editor is really a concept, but I would hope to include the core features and make them really solid. Like being able to create prefabs of tiles, place textured polygons, scale, rotate, alpha, etc

I would probably do it with layers so you add a tile layer or a sprite layer or a shape layer or etc.

It's not fully planned yet and all depends on the success of my campaign :D

dmaz(Posted 2012) [#5]
there are a couple of things I really like in my texture tool that I wish someone would do as well... (since I haven't updated mine in years and don't plan to)

- fonts! allow the choosing of a font,style and size then add that font to current texture.

- since you have lua, allow the user to write graphic filters that can be applied to selected images in the texture (like a font) so things like glows, shadows, textures or gradients can be applied. I had filters in mine though they were in bmx... invaluable, since it's way nicer/quicker to select separate graphics in the tool as opposed to bringing it into a graphic editor.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#6]
there are a couple of things I really like in my texture tool that I wish someone would do as well... (since I haven't updated mine in years and don't plan to)

- fonts! allow the choosing of a font,style and size then add that font to current texture.

- since you have lua, allow the user to write graphic filters that can be applied to selected images in the texture (like a font) so things like glows, shadows, textures or gradients can be applied. I had filters in mine though they were in bmx... invaluable, since it's way nicer/quicker to select separate graphics in the tool as opposed to bringing it into a graphic editor.

Hey dmaz,

it would be really good to get some font stuff going. Definitely will add it to my list of wants!

I like the idea of user filters. Would they be something that happens on export or something that happens in realtime? It is definitely something to consider as I would like to open up more aspects of Objecty to the lua scripting.

dmaz(Posted 2012) [#7]
realtime... I assume you create the final texture at export, so you store each "sprite" as a individual object that is then displayed realtime in Objecty? doing it that way makes this kind of manipulation pretty easy. do include a redo buffer for each object and allow the user to select groups of objects to apply the same filter to. you should be able to select an entire font in one click to which then you can apply a filter.

I have a framework that has boned objects so I'm looking forward to your app mostly for that... throw this stuff in and I'll switch right over and support you on indiegogo.

IMO, the texture packing, font stuff, bones and animation are more important than the level editor. The properties of those objects are far less unique game to game than levels details are.

jpoag(Posted 2012) [#8]
As far as edge bleeding goes, I typically use tools like pngprep to preprocess images before packaging them:

http://jet.ro/2009/10/17/tool-pngprep/

On a sprite sheet, you can add padding between sprites and duplicate any sprite edges that are not touching the edge of the texture. As long as your textures are pow2, all of the textures edges will be wrapped.

These are offline, preprocessing techniques used to solve subpixel placement issues. Unless all of your sprites are pow2, you waste a lot of memory by using a single surface for each image, not to mention a drop in speed for switching textures.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#9]
realtime... I assume you create the final texture at export, so you store each "sprite" as a individual object that is then displayed realtime in Objecty? doing it that way makes this kind of manipulation pretty easy. do include a redo buffer for each object and allow the user to select groups of objects to apply the same filter to. you should be able to select an entire font in one click to which then you can apply a filter.

I have a framework that has boned objects so I'm looking forward to your app mostly for that... throw this stuff in and I'll switch right over and support you on indiegogo.

IMO, the texture packing, font stuff, bones and animation are more important than the level editor. The properties of those objects are far less unique game to game than levels details are.

Its quite exciting now to hear people getting interested. Really helps with the motivation! The idea behind everything in objecty is to try and make it as generic as possible, so needless to say the level editor would follow the same mind set. Not sure how far I would go with that, but that can be planned later.

I will definitely focus on the character, animation ,packing and potential font aspects first as level editors are a dime a dozen!

As far as edge bleeding goes, I typically use tools like pngprep to preprocess images before packaging them:

http://jet.ro/2009/10/17/tool-pngprep/

On a sprite sheet, you can add padding between sprites and duplicate any sprite edges that are not touching the edge of the texture. As long as your textures are pow2, all of the textures edges will be wrapped.

These are offline, preprocessing techniques used to solve subpixel placement issues. Unless all of your sprites are pow2, you waste a lot of memory by using a single surface for each image, not to mention a drop in speed for switching textures.

That tool is handy, I have added it to my tools folder :D