My RPG in the makings

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/My RPG in the makings

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey,

I wanted to showcase the project I've been working on for several month now.
In fact until now the content of the game is pretty non-existent, I still have to finish the specification of what the game exactly will be. The good thing however is that I'am at the stage where nearly all the low level things are done, even the editor is already functional.

Here a screen of the editor and the script editor.

The running game

The editor serves as a one stop station for building the game. I can build maps by placing tiles on layers. The object layer is for NPC's but also events that happen when you step on them or interact with them. Also the script editor is built into the editor and you can change scripts while the game is running, no need to restart.

The graphics are all taken by the RPG Maker series btw, so they are not mine.

EdzUp(Posted 2012) [#2]
Nice looking good :D

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#3]
I like it. I would like to make an RPG some time in the future.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#4]
Looks nice. I have been playing with roguelikes for years. I have fun creating procedurally generated content. I just dove into one in Max, but I think I am going to stick with Monkey from here on out. Just too many options to pass up!

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Yeah monkey is the way to go. Still for Gui Apps Max is still the best choice imo(editor is written in it).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#6]
looks good.

Leon Brown(Posted 2012) [#7]
Looks really good. What did you use to create the GUI for the game editor?

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#8]
BlitzMax with MaxGUI. Still rocks the house for small to mid sized gui projects.
It took me a little more than 2 weeks to get it into the state it's now. Though I had the tile-engine already in place (in monkey). Porting it to BMax was pretty easy.

At the moment I'm implementing an item system (weapons, armor, medicine, etc.). Everything in my engine is data-driven so all items are pure data. Take a potion for example:
Potion {
	name:Potion;
	description:Heals a little bit.;
	type:medicine;
	effect:heal 20 hp;
}

The first 3 properties should be obvious.
'effect' stands for what the item will do. Here it will call the function 'heal' with the arguments '20' and 'hp'. So the item will heal 20 hp. You could also write:
effect:heal 20 %

Leon Brown(Posted 2012) [#9]
How are you developing your engine? Are you developing one version in Monkey and another in BlitzMax?

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#10]
The whole engine is for monkey only.
The only part i ported to BlitzMax was the tile-engine so I could draw the map and place objects.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#11]
Monkey is fine for GUI so long as you either import an engine or do the groundwork. I have decent menus and buttons now, and windows are no problem so long as they don't move and have a fixed parent-child structure.

At the end of the day, I reckon OO is the solution for GUIs, and so long as you have that you will be fine.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#12]
Hello, a little update:
As the engine is now production ready, the real development starts now.

To force myself not to get distracted with engine features I have started an experiment where I want to finish the game in only 3 month. I will use this blog http://hyperion-project.tk as a logbook of my experiences/thoughts while developing the game.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#13]
Well, a lot of things have changed with this game.
First, I wasn't able to finish the game in 3 month as planned because of various reasons.

The good thing is that I now have a graphics artist and the game has progressed a lot in terms of battles and graphics. We have also started a blog where I showcase some features or write about how I did something using monkey of course.

Today I wrote an article how to make these nice animations from a turn based game where it says 'Players turn': http://www.condorra.com/2012/10/29/how-to-create-a-switch-turn-animation/

It would also be great if you could give me some critique about the blog design, writing style or other suggestions you have.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#14]
Looks nice. I'm doing a roguelike myself. The basic game architecture is done so now I'm just trying to evolve monsters, spells, items and skills together (new monster, new monster graphics, monster does new thing so that's also a new spell, add new item that casts the spell, or a counterspell, or a weapon strong enough to fight such a monster, and so on. I do have a general concept of the progression and the kinds of spells that will be available. When I've enough monsters to fill lots of levels I will shoehorn the lot into a basic storyline.

For mine I was thinking of fading the arrow console in and out a bit to indicate the player's turn (the game is for tablets). As it's a roguelike, the player will take lots of turns, and a message on screen would be obtrusive. I just want it to be obvious when it's not the player's turn, although generally speaking there should be monsters moving in view when this is the case anyway.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#15]
Looks very promising!

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#16]
@Gerry Quinn
In your case, yes an unobtrusive cue would be better I guess. You could even fade the console to ~0.2 alpha when it's not his turn and from there fade back in.

@MikeHart
Thanks.

What I am really struggling at the moment is content and level progression that matches the nature of mobile devices.
You are able to recruit many monsters (actually nearly all you fight against ~30). I have limited the number of actions a monster can learn to 5. Maybe that's still too much? I am also playing with the idea of never actually showing the player his stats in numbers, but only as a progress bar.

All in all, I want to keep it really simple, but also the battles should involve some tactics to win.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#17]
5 is quite a lot of possible actions for an enemy monster, unless it's a high-level wizard or something. Of course if your party is made up of monsters that you control, it is a good idea that they have interesting capabilities.

With enemies I'd be inclined to give them only one 'special' move (as distinct from ordinary melee and sometimes ranged attacks). That way players will quickly learn "oh yes, that's the guy that freezes you, better kill him one-on-one or stay far away..."

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#18]
5 is quite a lot of possible actions for an enemy monster, unless it's a high-level wizard or something. Of course if your party is made up of monsters that you control, it is a good idea that they have interesting capabilities.

Yeah, you are right. I have reduced that to 3 now + 1 special ability. Also I now have a system where the player has just 1 huge 'mana' bar (in contrast to every hero having one) and there are skills that add to that bar and others that reduce it.

In a brainstorming session a colleague of mine had the idea that you can regulate the intensity of each action with a slider (but it's completely optional so it won't offend novices) from say 50% to 150%. This would also then affect how much 'mana' the action costs.

Do you think think that's overboard for a mobile game?